Words we take for granted
Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
No room to swing a cat . I believe is referring to a time when corporal punishment was still used. The cat is a type of whip. Cat of 9 tails. So yes very probably nautical. My Grandad told me about that & he was Royal Navy.

I’m guessing 3 sheets to the wind, is something to do with navy rum rations
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Jay, Jimny14, JJB, Moth, Veggie

Jay Offline
Hand over fist...pulling the ropes on a ship?
West of Scotland
[-] The following 3 users Like Jay's post:
  • Jimny14, Moth, Veggie

Spec Offline
(30-06-2021, 08:53 AM)Jimny14 Wrote: Here are a few more phrases of probably nautical origin.

3 sheets to the wind.
No room to swing a cat
Swinging the lead
Hand over fist
Brass monkeys
At a loose end
Give a wide berth

3 sheets to the wind, is that a reference to sails not being tied down
Swing a cat, as has been said, referring to a whip
Swinging the lead, had that originally been to do with taking depth readings, where they drop the lead weighted rope?
Hand over fist, again as said connected to pulling on a rope ie. pulling on a rope to pull a boat into the pier
Brass monkeys, not sure where it came from but wonder if brass becomes brittle in the cold
At a loose end, again not sure but wonder if it has to do with a sail not secured
Give a wide berth, possibly connected to sailing well away from a dangerous area or ship
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Small chilli

Jimny14 Offline
Well played Spec, you're pretty much there on em all. I'll leave everyone some more time to have a think.

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
The usually cited story is that cold as brass monkeys related to "monkeys" being the name of the brass cannonball racks on ships. When it got really cold, the brass would crack and the cannonballs would fall off. Hence, being cold as brass monkeys is when it is "cold enough to freeze your balls off".

However, when I've looked into this in the past, it appeared this was not true and was just a good story. Sadly, I don't recall the real origin of the term!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 6 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14, JJB, Moth, Small chilli, Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
You're right Pros, the supposed other origin is a variation on cold enough to freeze the nose/tail etc off a brass monkey. The brass monkeys in question are probably the 3 wise monkeys sold to tourists.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Since we're sticking to the nautical theme, there is
a square meal - ships wooden plates were square
the bitter end - the very end of a rope that was secured around the bitts or bollards on a ship.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • JJB, Veggie