Plant supports
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(27-06-2021, 03:02 PM)Scarlet Wrote: The 6mm does bend very easily....I did have thoughts of trying some 8mm and making a large arch and tying it in with wire? I think I will go back to my friend and see if he will give me a demo.

Care to show any of your metalwork? Would be interested to see. Smile
I think I may have posted picies of my gate/fence and log store somewhere on here..............just not sure where. Cry
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I will have a look - I obviously missed it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(27-06-2021, 03:04 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(27-06-2021, 02:15 PM)Veggie Wrote: You could cover the GH with netting as a fruit or brassica cage?
That is a fab idea!!!
my kale as been eaten to nothing - I was going to try starting some kale now? And keep in the greenhouse?
Try Cavolo Nero in your green house, I have 3 plants in my tunnel since last autumn still picking leaves and growing new ones.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 4 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
If you remember, my raspberry cage is 3 GH frames that were covered in debris netting several years ago.
Last winter I had some perennial kale cuttings growing in MFBs and they were being attacked by pigeons so I moved a couple of buckets into the raspberry cage for safety - and forgot all about them until last week when I started picking raspberries. There, in the middle of the canes were a couple of buckets full of perfect kales - every leaf untouched.
I have vague plans of clearing some space in there for buckets of brassicas.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Small chilli, Vinny

Jimny14 Offline
I have a stool of Ash, part of what was our overgrown hedge line. I'm trying to keep it under control so it doesn't take over again. I effectively coppice it now for either garden canes (can usually get a few 3m canes a year) or if left longer kindling. They last very well so don't need replacing too often.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Scarlet, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-06-2021, 07:54 AM)Jimny14 Wrote: I have a stool of Ash, part of what was our overgrown hedge line. I'm trying to keep it under control so it doesn't take over again. I effectively coppice it now for either garden canes (can usually get a few 3m canes a year) or if left longer kindling. They last very well so don't need replacing too often.
We had some ash trees cut down and my husband was hoping to be able to cut them for kindling but only one survived! We get lots of ash seedlings and I'm forever digging them out - maybe I should group them together and try to use them for cutting.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
Yeah you should be able to plant a patch and coppice them,you may have to leave them several years before the first cut so they have some energy reserves and leave a bit of a stump for them to regrow from. I have more ash saplings than I know what to do with.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Same here for ash seedlings but we also have ash dieback locally.
Hazel is a good plant for coppicing and you get nuts!! Better in a hedge than ash.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14, Scarlet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Thanks for the kale in mfbs advice Veggie, I am going to try that.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Jimny14, Veggie

Bren Offline
(28-06-2021, 11:31 AM)JJB Wrote: Thanks for the kale in mfbs advice Veggie, I am going to try that.

JJB i've got one in a mfb in my GH I'd run  out of space in my brassica cage and know it would have been stripped bare if I'd just planted it in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Veggie