Red Onion Sets
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Has anyone mastered the technique of growing red onions from sets without them running to seed early? Huh

I grew red onion sets many years ago and had problems so stopped growing them Two years ago I tried autumn planted red onion sets (thinking the sellers may have got their act together by now) and actually got a decent crop off them. Cool
This year I did the same and  the majority have bolted. Angry

I don't think I am alone in this as other plot holders onions have suffered the same fate.

I tried red onions from seed but they are a bit of a faff on so have given up on these too. I do have red torpedo onions grown from seed but they are way behind where I think they should be growth wise.

Has anyone had any joy with the more expensive heat treated red onion sets and are they worth a go?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Red onions bolt for me too. Stopped growing them years ago for that reason.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
My red baron cheap sets planted in spring have a few going to seed but so far only 3 or 4 in a 15ft row. Last year same cheap sets were fine. Must be the weather/stress.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Broadway Offline
Not growing them this year but last year they turned out ok. Cheapo ones from Wilko
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(25-06-2021, 12:41 PM)Broadway Wrote: Not growing them this year but last year they turned out ok. Cheapo ones from Wilko
Mine were fine last year as well but his year has been a nightmare. Sick The annoying thing is they have been in the ground since last October and only now decide to run to seed before the bulbs are mature! Angry Wasted growing space which could have housed summat, and still could if I can figure out the best vegetable to dot around the 'misses' in the rows.
Its coming up to the right time to sow Mooli so I may finish up with mooli dotted around the plot where the red onions were Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
I also gave up on red onion sets due to bolting, I have a much better success rate from seed.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny