What ist?
Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I wonder is it a form of reamer to ream out an old bolt that has sheared ?
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Do the twists follow through or do they go in opposite directions?

Is it some sort of adapter? If the small end fitted into summat, using the nut in the middle to screw it in to the summat, you'd end up with a bigger, open end - or, in reverse. you'd have a smaller end piece and it would be a reducer.

I know what I mean even if 99.99999999999999% of the rest of the world haven't a clue.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(21-06-2021, 11:44 PM)Veggie Wrote: Do the twists follow through or do they go in opposite directions?

Is it some sort of adapter?  If the small end fitted into summat, using the nut in the middle to screw it in to the summat, you'd end up with a bigger, open end - or, in reverse. you'd have a smaller end piece and it would be a reducer.

I know what I mean even if 99.99999999999999% of the rest of the world haven't a clue.
Ir you look down the length from the 'nut' they each twist to the right from either end if that helps?

Sorry veggie, include me in all the nines! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Bren Offline
MrB think's its some sort of drive coupling that seized and twisted it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(21-06-2021, 11:02 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(21-06-2021, 09:54 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: He says they're twisted because it works at 90 degrees, connected to the bevelled gearbox, or something. Huh Or maybe a spiral bevel gear, he's just said (he's been googling all evening, liking an engineering conundrum).
Likewise PP! Rolleyes Just it bugs the excrement out of me when I can't find anything similar.I understand the principle of a crown wheel, pinion and planet gears but can't figure how this would equate?

Where's Fred Dibner when you need him? Big Grin

I'm glad someone understands  Rolleyes

And as for Fred Dibner, felling chimneys in the sky!!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(22-06-2021, 03:43 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(21-06-2021, 11:02 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(21-06-2021, 09:54 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: He says they're twisted because it works at 90 degrees, connected to the bevelled gearbox, or something. Huh Or maybe a spiral bevel gear, he's just said (he's been googling all evening, liking an engineering conundrum).
Likewise PP! Rolleyes Just it bugs the excrement out of me when I can't find anything similar.I understand the principle of a crown wheel, pinion and planet gears but can't figure how this would equate?

Where's Fred Dibner when you need him? Big Grin

I'm glad someone understands  Rolleyes

And as for Fred Dibner, felling chimneys in the sky!!
I read Freds lifestory book. He was also an innovative engineer building his own winding gear and pit shaft in his back garden and restoring and running Steam Traction Engines. Cool One of life's characters!
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Veggie