This time last year...........
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-06-2021, 10:17 AM)Veggie Wrote: There may be a trip to B&M later today as they have some £1.50 notebooks in various designs. I'll see how many different ones they have - don't want duplicates as that would be confusing.Wink https://www.bmstores.co.uk/search?sortBy...c&query=A5
I'm back from B&M - they only had 4 different designs - but they'll keep me occupied for 4 months - plenty of time for them to put some more on the shelf.
I have  "Ruff notes" with a dog; "Paws for thought" with cat, a "Shine Bright" star and my favourite, Leopards in the jungle.
Which one shall it be for June - as I'm starting tomorrow?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Small chilli, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
My last thing on these, An idea of the type of spreadsheet that can be useful year to year:

Each year when I am doing something and look back to see how it went last year, it often is missing or I wish there was more info. sometimes it is good. And you can use it to add up a crop as you pick it.
The BP tab is blood pressure but the rest is mainly gardening.
The 'jobs now' tab is a rough jotter with a list of most of the jobs outstanding and then 7 days with as many as i think will get done each day. These get deleted when done and new ones get added in.

I'm not a great fan of spreadsheets as I used to develop them for a biscuit and snack company for a living but it paid off the mortgage. I grew to dislike Microsoft and now just use Linux and open source software which is now very good.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks for sharing it, Mark but it wouldn't work for me - too many facts and not enough waffle.
I spent the last 10 or so years of my working life as an Internal Auditor and 95% of the job was intensely boring. The remaining 5% was the fun stuff.
Spreadsheets always remind me of the 95% that I didn't enjoy - I need more of the 5% - that's why I downed my purple pen and retired. Even remembering the job has started me yawning.-or maybe its past my bedtime!!

Nos da. Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I use both spreadsheets and books so hedging my bets, neither are fully informative and I always wish I'd written more. Did try one year weighing courgettes and recording, that was a right old faff, and who cares in the great scheme of things! There's always too many, some better than others.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have 2 more books - 89p in Home BargainsBig Grin The covers are a bit softer than the B&M one but 200 pages in each should be enough. Even writing a page a day that's 6 years.Smile
The first page of the month is going to be an "Index" of Highlights - so June might be "12th Picked first tomatoes" - "15th Planted Runner beans" so that I can see at a glance what important things happened without reading 30 pages of waffle to find it. The Waffle will be the sort of stuff on "What I did today"; the Highlights are "What I sowed/Picked".
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Small chilli

Admin Offline
The Boss
I am another one who hates spreadsheets, quite often meaning a lot to the author but nothing to the audience.

Management systems are another pet hate, often written by people who have no concept of the customers business.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
A little update! June's Diary is on the bookshelf, and July's is in front of me. I've chosen the "Ruff Notes" cartoon dog who looks a bit like a French Bulldog, one of which, called Benji , I met yesterday and we had a long snuffle and snort together.
In case you think I'm a day late, I started it yesterday. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Are you finding the new book system useful, although I expect you've not done it long enough to tell yet.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Like you say, its only 2 weeks old!
Ask me again next July.Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
As if I'll remember then! But best of luck. The scheme is very tempting.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie