The Worst Job in the World?
Jimny14 Offline
[quote pid='25072' dateline='1623005202']
[quote pid='25056' dateline='1622971187']
That said, doctors (and dentists) in days gone by must have managed without gloves for all kinds of things. And then there was the requirement to taste your patient's urine for diagnosing things like diabetes... Glad I am a modern-day doctor! (Though I wonder what people 300 years from now will be horrified that we are doing now.)
[/quote]

[/quote]
Gloves and masks becoming the norm in dentistry is within my memory, then again so is vacuum sterilising of all instruments. I remember instruments being hand scrubbed and disinfected in barbicide. I'm 100% certain that when I retire newly qualified dentists and doctors will be horrified with some of the things we're doing today routinely.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Proserpina, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(06-06-2021, 07:56 PM)Veggie Wrote: My childhood dentist was called Mr Savage............just saying!!
Our works Doc when I worked for British Steel was called Doc Holiday! Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(04-06-2021, 10:08 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: I would think it hard to beat working an Amazon warehouse, they treat their employees abysmally - but people keep buying from them.
One of my boys house mates works in the warehouse - part time - he's a student. He doesn't mind it at all, says it gives his brain a relax Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(07-06-2021, 10:35 AM)Scarlet Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 10:08 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: I would think it hard to beat working an Amazon warehouse, they treat their employees abysmally - but people keep buying from them.
One of my boys house mates works in the warehouse - part time - he's a student. He doesn't mind it at all, says it gives his brain a relax Big Grin

He might view it differently if he was permanent and it was his life's work. He likely wants a permanent job that stimulates his brain. I had a holiday job once at Lewis in Manchester on the hardware in the basement. As a holiday job it was fine but it would have become mind numbingly boring for it to be permanent.

The worst holiday job I did was at the steel works in Irlam. It was exceedingly hot and the molten metal cascading round the place scared me to death. I only stayed there the one day.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Spec, Veggie

Spec Offline
(07-06-2021, 02:38 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(07-06-2021, 10:35 AM)Scarlet Wrote:

He might view it differently if he was permanent and it was his life's work. He likely wants a permanent job that stimulates his brain. I had a holiday job once at Lewis in Manchester on the hardware in the basement. As a holiday job it was fine but it would have become mind numbingly boring for it to be permanent.

The worst holiday job I did was at the steel works in Irlam. It was exceedingly hot and the molten metal cascading round the place scared me to death. I only stayed there the one day.

I worked at the furnaces in the local steelworks for eight years, hard, heavy, hot work, but really enjoyed working there. Should also add, very dangerous
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Mark_Riga