Perennial Garlic or Onion?
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

I found this clump of alliums when clearing a bed. To the best of my knowledge they've never flowered but it was obviously an allium from the smell of the leaves - which are flat, like garlic and leeks, not hollow like onions. I actually thought it was an ornamental allium.
When I dug them up, I didn't expect to find these bulbs and they're a reasonable size for eating too - I know because I've just eaten one raw! The bulb was splitting into 2 cloves and tasted like a mild garlic. 
The skins have a reddish tint. 
If anyone can identify them, I'd be grateful. I'm going to split the clump and replant somewhere random!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have no idea. Without your explanation, just going on photos.  I’d of said onions. Amazing what you find in the garden. I found watercress yesterday  Smile .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.

doublyjonah Offline
They look like something I have on my plot. My best guess for mine is spring onions that went over winter and bulbed up with a purple tinge. I'm too afraid to just chomp one to find out what it tastes like though...
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Elephant garlic forms small offsets around its edge, which if left will eventually grow into full sized EG after a few years. The mild garlic taste and flat leaves would lead me to believe its related to EG? Huh

Have you ever had Elephant garlic which you have just left in situ Veggie, if so this could be the progeny. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
All Alliums are edible so it won't poison you, DJ. Smile
My problem with it is where its planted - in the front of a herb and flower bed. If I'd known it was an onion/garlic/leek I would have planted it elsewhere. Its too random a spot, even for me!!

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(31-05-2021, 04:40 PM)Vinny Wrote: Elephant garlic forms small offsets around its edge, which if left will eventually grow into full sized EG after a few years. The mild garlic taste and flat leaves would lead me to believe its related to EG? Huh

Have you ever had Elephant garlic which you have just left in situ Veggie, if so this could be the progeny. Smile
I leave lots of EG in situ - but nowhere near these! The leaves are a lot thinner/softer than EG too - though that may be because they're overcrowded and probably have been for several years.