Netting Carrots
Broadway Offline
Growing carrots for the first time and have just thinned them out, do I still need to protect them with netting?

FYI they are in pots.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

mcdood Offline
I leave mine on all the time. I would definitely net after thinning as they apparently have very good scent and will detect the crushed leaves/stems from some distance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(31-05-2021, 10:58 AM)mcdood Wrote: I leave mine on all the time.  I would definitely net after thinning as they apparently have very good scent and will detect the crushed leaves/stems from some distance.
Ok cheers DoodSmile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood

Bren Offline
Danny here’s how I net my carrots.

https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.p...42#pid5442

Broadway Offline
(31-05-2021, 02:45 PM)Bren Wrote: Danny here’s how I net my carrots.

https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.p...42#pid5442
Hi Bren

Yes thank you I followed your guidance on this thread when I originally netted them. I have now thinned them and raised the height on the nettingSmile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Bren

Roitelet Offline
I grow carrots on pots and don’t net them. Last year I grew them on a raised area about two feet high and add to that the height of the pot. Worked well and kept the carrot fly off. Carrot fly are weak fliers and can’t make more that about two feet in height. Netting is a pfaff when watering. Sown some in the ground this year, variety Flyaway and alternated the rows with leeks. It might keep the leek moth off as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roitelet's post:
  • Broadway

Broadway Offline
(31-05-2021, 05:07 PM)Roitelet Wrote: I grow carrots on pots and don’t net them. Last year I grew them on a raised area about two feet high and add to that the height of the pot. Worked well and kept the carrot fly off. Carrot fly are weak fliers and can’t make more that about two feet in height. Netting is a pfaff  when  watering. Sown some in the ground this year, variety Flyaway and alternated the rows with leeks. It might keep the leek moth off as well.
oh ok thanks RoiteletSmile