How do you....................?
Bren Offline
Vinny you need Hurricane pegs I bought some from Aldi years ago they seem to work well, not that I've tested them in a real hurricane.

I've got a couple of retractable clothes lines to use either in the garden or if its raining in the lean-too then indoors airing rack and a tumble dryer but that's not been used for years.

Spec Offline
[quote="JJB" pid='25310' dateline='1623401614' As an aside how often do your gardening clothes get washed?  To save the embarrassment of others I'll own up that mine only get washed when they stand up by themselves, or get mud encrusted or smelly.  I work on the principle that they're going to get mucky so why bother about a bit of existing muck.  P will clean my gardening shoes out of the kindness of his heart, but I wouldn't bother until they're heavy with mud.  :D[/quote]

Not garden related, though connected to washing, when I got married my OH was shocked when came home and after taking my shirt off I stood it up by its self on the scullery floor while I washed in the sink, no bathroom, no shower etc., just a small sink and a wee water heater that if you turned the water flow on too strong it didn't heat, though must admit wasn't a great problem when she was giving me a hand to washRolleyes she was going to wash my shirt right away but I told her not to as it wasnt healthy to do that, as the body draws in some of the salts that are extruded when you sweat, it was also the same with my walking socks, I had to hide them from her every time I came home as she aways wanted to wash them, again not health for your feet to constantly wash them
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Moving on from Spec's freestanding clothing.................

How do you move a wheelbarrow?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot

Broadway Offline
Usually towing it being meSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Load all the weight over the front wheel (if it is a classic barrow, obviously - my mother had a weird two wheeled, long handled, low-slung device.), put little fingers over the end of the handles so you don't have to grip so hard, bend knees to lift it and use the body weight to get it going - and always start with the barrow pointing in the direction in which you're going to start pushing it.
Back in the day I was an archaeologist and being able to wheel a laden barrow along a wet plank without dropping it back into the trench was an essential skill. I guess health and safety has quite rightly demanded both a wider plank and some training these days ...

We once had some very innocent volunteers on a site who we convinced that barrows (the things you excavate) were so named because they usually contained barrows (the things you push along).
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
By coincidence, PP, I've been excavating a drainage channel today, using a trowel, brush and hand shovel and I found myself muttering about finding the long lost "moat" that protected the "castle" from the neighbouring hordes.
It was just the channel at the side of the drive, but it seemed so much more interesting to imagine that I'd discovered something important.Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
First thing I was shown when I was an apprentice was how to make a wheel  barrow into a bed. Rolleyes Also learned that to be a good engineer you needed to be a good guesser! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Spec Offline
When I was a boy (16) I used a two wheeled barrow to shift manganese, sometimes up to 1 ton at a time, balance was all important and you needed to be able to stand between the arms of the barrow and put your arms behind you, hold the handles, lift and pull, it is always easier to pull rather than push a barrow, so with a garden wheel barrow the principle is still the same, balance, weight to the front, if a heavy load, arms behind you to pull rather than push
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Next daft question Wink
For the book lovers - how do you sort your books on the shelf?
Is it Author, subject, size or colour? Or anything else - or nothing!
I've bought lots of cheap books lately and, embarrassingly, bought a couple of books that I already had! There was one book that was basically identical to a previous edition but had been renamed - that's so sneaky!!!
Need help Big Grin

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(04-08-2021, 09:53 PM)Veggie Wrote: Next daft question Wink
For the book lovers - how do you sort your books on the shelf?
Is it Author, subject, size or colour? Or anything else - or nothing!
I've bought lots of cheap books lately and, embarrassingly, bought a couple of books that I already had! There was one book that was basically identical to a previous edition but had been renamed - that's so sneaky!!!
Need help Big Grin
Stop buying! 
Be prepared to get rid of books you don't open. I put on the shelf wherever there is space.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie