Martin's New Garden
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Looks great Colin .........tell Martin I said so. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • MartinH

MartinH Offline
It's time I did another update.

No major changes since last time - I've been busy with other things - but stuff is growing quickly now.

The sweet peas and other flowers are moving on up...

The greenhouse is getting quite full, I've had to move some of the peppers out into a cold frame...

The potatoes, sweet corn and runner beans are on the move...

My next job is to attack the hedge at the front of the house, then the one at the back. There's no birds nesting in there so I can crack on. Then it will be time to tackle the wild area at the bottom of the garden. I want to tidy up the apple trees and fit in a pond. Busy, busy!
[-] The following 12 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Admin, Bren, Broadway, Jay, JJB, mcdood, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Brilliant Martin, it's the right time of year to get good results quickly, it makes all the hard work more worth it. Looking forward to the next instalment.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • MartinH

Bren Online
Lots growing Martin to say you've only recently moved in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • MartinH

Broadway Offline
(23-06-2021, 07:39 PM)MartinH Wrote: It's time I did another update.

No major changes since last time - I've been busy with other things - but stuff is growing quickly now.

The sweet peas and other flowers are moving on up...

The greenhouse is getting quite full, I've had to move some of the peppers out into a cold frame...

The potatoes, sweet corn and runner beans are on the move...

My next job is to attack the hedge at the front of the house, then the one at the back. There's no birds nesting in there so I can crack on. Then it will be time to tackle the wild area at the bottom of the garden. I want to tidy up the apple trees and fit in a pond. Busy, busy!
Looking good MartinSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • MartinH

MartinH Offline
So, this week I got round to clearing the overgrown hedge at the front of my house. I've put in an assortment of flowers instead: mixed Cosmos, Toadflax, French Marigolds, Nicotiana and some lupins and hollyhocks mixed in there for next year. I forgot to take a "before" picture, but here's the after. The hole on the right is because I want to find a brickie to shorten the wall and rebuild the gatepost further in:

In the back garden there was a huge, overgrown variegated Weigela that was an untidy blob encroaching into the lawn. The usual remedy is to prune it back hard at this time of year, but it's so big I thought I'd try lifting the crown instead. I think it's better, but not sure I like it, it might have to come out completely.  This time I remembered a "before":

Meanwhile stuff continues to grow. Here's the main veg patch, with potatoes, sweet corn, runner beans, kohl rabi and some salady bits:

I'm worried about my runner beans. Some of them are yellowing and even getting a bit droopy. Here's the worst affected. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

I sowed a couple of rows of carrots outside the greenhouse. It will be interesting to see how they get on in this garden.

The greenhouse itself is burgeoning. The tomatoes are setting their third truss, the cucumber plants are going up the canes, the peppers are starting to turn, dwarf french beans are about to flower, melons, salad, flower seedlings etc etc...

All the while, Colin is keeping an eye on my flower troughs!

So much to do!! Next thing is to tackle some of the smaller trees and bushes in the back garden and make some space for more planting out.
[-] The following 10 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Admin, Bren, Can the Man, Jay, Mark_Riga, mcdood, Scarlet, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
You must be very pleased with the way your new garden is turning out, Colin. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, MartinH

PamH Offline
I found a "before" picture of the front hedge

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 6 users Like PamH's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, MartinH, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Hi Pam, pleased to "meet" you and welcome to our happy home.Smile
Your garden is beautiful, you must be so pleased with it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PamH

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Hello PamH, nice to see you on here.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, MartinH, PamH