PSB - experiment!
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I have another PSB experiment for this year!! You may recall that I've been given 2 trays of seedlings - labelled Purple Sprouting broccoli and Green Sprouting Calabrese. There are lots of both. 

I read, in one of Vinny's posts, that 4 plants are enough for him, which means I must have at least 40 plants that are too many. At the moment, I'm thinking of planting them, randomly, around the garden, in the hope that some will not be spotted by the "One eyed, one horned, flying purple broccoli eaters" (for those of you old enough to remember the song).
What are the chances of growing a PSB Forest or will it be some useless stumps? What do you think?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(19-06-2022, 10:07 PM)Veggie Wrote: I have another PSB experiment for this year!! You may recall that I've been given 2 trays of seedlings - labelled Purple Sprouting broccoli and Green Sprouting Calabrese. There are lots of both. 

I read, in one of Vinny's posts, that 4 plants are enough for him, which means I must have at least 40 plants that are too many. At the moment, I'm thinking of planting them, randomly, around the garden, in the hope that some will not be spotted by the "One eyed, one horned, flying purple broccoli eaters" (for those of you old enough to remember the song).
What are the chances of growing a PSB Forest or will it be some useless stumps? What do you think?
Been there done that! Tongue I had a potager type allotment once where I developed 'pocket' planting into the regimental  beds.Each bed had the same stuff in it, a PSB,a soft fruit bush, onions,leeks,carrots,beetroot,flowers etc etc etc.
I think they have a fancy name for it now "summat culture". Big Grin My long narrow beds now are planted up with blocks of various veg & flowers which are I suppose elongated pockets? Rolleyes

By growing more PSB plants than you need I would imagine you and the chooks would soon get sick of them! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Plant them all. Harvest everything. When you’re sick of them. You could put bags out for passers by like you do your books or put it on your free cycle group. And not forgetting you have a dehydrator now

https://www.excaliburdehydrator-recipes....-broccoli/
https://www.excaliburdehydrator-recipes....oli-bites/
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Around here the pigeons would be the only .ones getting fat on unprotected PSB
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Vinny - I think its Polyculture - or, as I call it Mixed up planting. I have "beds" like you describe now - a fruit tree, with soft fruit beneath and onions/leeks/elephant garlic, kale, herbs and flowers muddled up around them. Time to add some PSB to the mix, methinks.
As SC said, there's always Arthur Excalibur and the neighbours to deal with an surplus.
BTW, SC, I just searched that recipe site and there were NO recipes for courgettes........................than I realised it was American and they call them Zucchini - lots of recipes for those. Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
I actually think I have more PSB seedlings than you Veggie. Tongue I sowed a short row of PSB and Calabrese along with cauli's. Quite a few had germinated but didn't seem to be growing much? It wasn't until I looked closer I realised the  flying rats (pigeons) had been 'grazing' them Angry . Now covered with netting they have recuperated and I will be left with the same problem as you, ie where the heck to plant them? Rolleyes
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I'm sorry to report that another of my intended experiments is doomed before it began. The PSB seedlings were targeted by cabbage white butterflies and the poor plants disappeared overnight into the tums of a horde of caterpillars.

Hope yours are OK, Vinny. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
(31-08-2022, 10:28 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm sorry to report that another of my intended experiments is doomed before it began. The PSB seedlings were targeted by cabbage white butterflies and the poor plants disappeared overnight into the tums of a horde of caterpillars.

Hope yours are OK, Vinny. Big Grin
Mine are fine Veggie, but thanks for your concern! Smile 

Another success appears to be my perennialisation of a single PSB! Cool I harvested the PSB as normal then whenever it threw up spindly side shoots I chopped them off. When it finally stopped producing these I gave it a 'haircut' with the shears and now it as fully leafed up again and looks healthy! It will be interesting to see what it does during the winetr but I will be well chuffed if I manage to get a second crop off it! Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie