Deer in the Garden
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I'm guessing my hedge isn't thick enough or prickly enough to keep this pregnant doe out of the garden. She has just crossed a 2m wide by 1.5m deep ditch and then pushed through blackthorn, briar rose, bramble and bright blue binder twine!     

She is very fond of apple and pear leaves, fresh maple leaves but especially new rose shoots and aqualegia flowers. Very pretty but, like wild boar, roe numbers are rapidly increasing here and that isn't necessarily good for them; although we are surrounded by forest, it is dwindling which brings the deer and boar into more contact with people, traffic and loose dogs.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I occasionally get them in. Not every year and I think some veg draws them in more than others

Guaranteed if I grow sweet corn they come in! I have seen them already this year. Right next to my hedge but they haven't been tempted enough to jump over. I don't believe anything will stop them if they fancy coming in for a nose.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Mikey Offline
Nine degrees at midnight that borderline tropical. Smile
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot

Mikey Offline
I used to have issues with big mice until I gave up the plot and took over the garden. Now the mouse is a dear and more selective. As long as I don’t grow chocolate they don’t come snuffling. Tongue

Oh dear, the peas are not for you they’re for DD’s lunchbox!!!! Naughty dear. Big Grin
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Given half a chance the reds are in our garden in seconds. The seem to have a sixth sense for when the electric fence isn’t on.
We’re having proper deer fencing at the new place.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(14-05-2021, 08:54 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Given half a chance the reds are in our garden in seconds. The seem to have a sixth sense for when the electric fence isn’t on.
We’re having proper deer fencing at the new place.

I'm trying to resist fencing the whole garden because I want the badgers and foxes (vole eaters) to still get in, and just don't like the look. But if it were reds I definitely would!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli