Stevia
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Just ordered some Stevia seeds to try and grow my own sugar substitute. Cool

Anyone tried growing it and any tips? Huh

PS I was unsure which section to post this in? Is it a herb? not sure, that's why I've posted it in General Discussion. By all means move it if you think it warrants moving! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Moved to Herbs!!

I've bought plants and grown it - but not from seed.
I found it overly sweet with a strange aftertaste. Tried to sweeten rhubarb with it but I could still taste the Stevia - not sweetened rhubarb.
Gave a leaf to several people to taste but none of them liked it.

Have you tasted a fresh leaf or just the processed stuff?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
(08-05-2021, 09:24 PM)Veggie Wrote: Moved to Herbs!!

I've bought plants and grown it - but not from seed.
I found it overly sweet with a strange aftertaste. Tried to sweeten rhubarb with it but I could still taste the Stevia - not sweetened rhubarb.
Gave a leaf to several people to taste but none of them liked it.

Have you tasted a fresh leaf or just the processed stuff?
I've tasted both Veggie. A while ago they were selling plants in the garden centre so I 'sneaked' a leaf or two. Couldn't believe how sweet it was and like you felt it had an aftertaste.
I have some stevia sugar bought a while ago at Aldi so added a couple of  heaped spoonfulls to my Hibiscus cordial and it greatly improved it.
I could drink the Hibiscus tea nice and chilled on a warm day without sweetener, but on a dull and rainy day I think the stevia 'lifted it a bit. Rolleyes
Going off subject for a minute or two, you get a lot of bang for your buck with these hibiscus flowers! Cool I put a handful of flowers in a large glass jug and added a small amount of boiling water then filled it up with cold water. Allowed it to steep for a couple of hours then drank most of liquid from it. Filled it up with cold water and I am ready to go again! Cool It might not be the healthiest drink, but its certainly the prettiest and the taste is drinkable! Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think its called Karkade or similar in Egypt - I used to bring back big bags of it when I went to Egypt for a holiday (and saffron but that's another story). Why isn't it healthy?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
(08-05-2021, 10:11 PM)Veggie Wrote: I think its called Karkade or similar in Egypt - I used to bring back big bags of it when I went to Egypt for a holiday (and saffron but that's another story). Why isn't it healthy?
Dunno, I just haven't read of any health benefits? Unless you know summat I don't? Huh You get  a lot of dried flowers for a small amount of money. Cool

Fancy buying some dried elderflowers (I know, why not pick them from the hedgerow) Rolleyes Can't be bothered to wait until they are in season. Dodgy
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You said "It might not be the healthiest drink" so I assumed you knew something. Tongue
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(08-05-2021, 10:35 PM)Veggie Wrote: You said "It might not be the healthiest drink" so I assumed you knew something. Tongue
I do, I know it might not be the healthiest drink, or then again it may be. Tongue

Just bought a couple of boxes of Tetley Cold  'Infusions' They aren't too bad either with stevia added! Cool

Orange and peach and Strawberry and Watermelon. Only tried the Orange and Peach up til now.
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I remember when I was in Thailand and visited the spas they used give us hibiscus tea to drink, it was warm to hot and Wasn’t that bad tasting either. But I think the best hibiscus I got was a cocktail called Pink Hibiscus in the cocktail bar in Caleta de Fuste in Fuerteventura, I don’t know what was in it but it finished with lots of cream and a red syrup definitely not healthy  Big Grin  Tongue   Big Grin
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny