Leeks
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Mine fill the holes and then keep on expanding - in clay soil.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(16-12-2021, 06:08 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Mine fill the holes and then keep on expanding - in clay soil.
Ok PP

I have only grown them the last couple of years and they have been as thin as I'd like to beSmile

We have heavy clay as well.

I may try them in a higher raised bed next year.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Give them more time - its still early for leeks - depending on when you planted them and variety.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Most of the show leek growers don't grow thee leeks below ground. Only the roots are below ground.

My pot leeks  which aren't show leeks btw have grown quite a bit bigger in girth than the original hole they were dibbered into. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(07-05-2021, 08:19 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 06:48 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 05:00 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Mine are rarely bigger than a darning needle when they go out into the ground and are always fine, easily wrist size by Christmas (even though they often disappear from sight into the planting hole).
Hi PP

Is the planting hole massive in diameter compared to the leeks?

Yup!
I use a standard dibber,  30cm deep, 4-5cm diameter, and the leeklings drop out of sight (each one gets a little compost and some water dropped down the hole after it). The blackbirds leave them alone, but the young plants are also protected from the heat - often low 30s by June - while the roots get established. After about 10 to 14 days the plants appear above the edge of the hole and happily grow away.
By December most will have filled the hole Smile
Here' one you asked earlier, Danny. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(16-12-2021, 06:35 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 08:19 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 06:48 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 05:00 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Mine are rarely bigger than a darning needle when they go out into the ground and are always fine, easily wrist size by Christmas (even though they often disappear from sight into the planting hole).
Hi PP

Is the planting hole massive in diameter compared to the leeks?

Yup!
I use a standard dibber,  30cm deep, 4-5cm diameter, and the leeklings drop out of sight (each one gets a little compost and some water dropped down the hole after it). The blackbirds leave them alone, but the young plants are also protected from the heat - often low 30s by June - while the roots get established. After about 10 to 14 days the plants appear above the edge of the hole and happily grow away.
By December most will have filled the hole Smile
Here' one you asked earlier, Danny. Big Grin
Sorry should have reviewed the thread I startedSmile This man flu is taking its toll
[-] The following 4 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie

Vinny Offline
I have 24 leeks I have grown from leek 'grass' planted in a seedtray of modules on the kitchen windowsill. Cool They are romping away now and rather than put them in the cold greenhouse I am contemplating leaving them where they are for a while. My logic is if they get a little bit 'drawn' that shouldn't be too much of an issue because the white part of the leek is mainly what I eat and blanching will give more white stem. Huh
I put them in the greenhouse last year and the bitter cold froze the leeks in the modules, even indoors. After subsequently planting them out later in the season they bolted straight away and had to be dug up. All was not lost as by then they were of a useable size.
If I can cossett them a bit on the windowsill and they don't get ridiculously leggy I am hoping they won't bolt quickly when planted out. If we have a bit of sunshine I can probably put them outdoors during the day and bring them in for the night.
That's what I like about veg gardening it can be very experimental and Mother nature dictates how far she will let you go. Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(27-01-2022, 06:45 PM)Vinny Wrote: I have 24 leeks I have grown from leek 'grass' planted in a seedtray of modules on the kitchen windowsill. Cool They are romping away now and rather than put them in the cold greenhouse I am contemplating leaving them where they are for a while. My logic is if they get a little bit 'drawn' that shouldn't be too much of an issue because the white part of the leek is mainly what I eat and blanching will give more white stem. Huh
I put them in the greenhouse last year and the bitter cold froze the leeks in the modules, even indoors. After subsequently planting them out later in the season they bolted straight away and had to be dug up. All was not lost as by then they were of a useable size.
If I can cossett them a bit on the windowsill and they don't get ridiculously leggy I am hoping they won't bolt quickly when planted out. If we have a bit of sunshine I can probably put them outdoors during the day and bring them in for the night.
That's what I like about veg gardening it can be very experimental and Mother nature dictates how far she will let you go. Big Grin
Hey Vinny

Can you trim them if they get leggy, I'm not sure I've seen differing opinions?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
(27-01-2022, 07:01 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(27-01-2022, 06:45 PM)Vinny Wrote: I have 24 leeks I have grown from leek 'grass' planted in a seedtray of modules on the kitchen windowsill. Cool They are romping away now and rather than put them in the cold greenhouse I am contemplating leaving them where they are for a while. My logic is if they get a little bit 'drawn' that shouldn't be too much of an issue because the white part of the leek is mainly what I eat and blanching will give more white stem. Huh
Hey Vinny

Can you trim them if they get leggy, I'm not sure I've seen differing opinions?
You can trim them, both leaves and roots at planting time but tried it with a few growing onions last year as an experiment as more leaves supposedly make more onion? Didn't do owt for mine though so I'll only trim them if they hit the roof! Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB