Stones & rocks
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
That’s brilliant you’ve still got the some of the equipment & honey.  Cool 
From the 10 videos I watched this morning it’s not the easiest thing to do. But it still appeals to me. I know a couple of people on the island that have recently started keeping bees, I’ll definitely have a chat with them & hopefully go watch them in action.
I should probably at some point mention my plan to Bob, maybe  Big Grin .

Can you recommend any books on the subject?
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
There's an Iona & Mull Beekeeping group on FB - might be a good place to start.
I've given away most of our beekeeping stuff - back to the Association to help new beekeepers so not sure about books.
The beeswax was also worth having - we made candles and polish with ours - probably have some wax lying around here too!!
Bob would be a real asset - making hives and frames as they can be quite an outlay at the start.
Bee suits don't have to be expensive - you need a good hat/hood with veil and gloves. I had a white, zipfronted boilersuit thing, ankles tucked into wellies.

Useless facts - bees crawl upwards so, if your trousers aren't tucked in, they'll crawl up your legs!!
They don't like brown clothing (looks like a bear); don't like strong smells; don't walk in front of a hive - across the flight path; don't site the hive near your washing line or your sheets will be covered in bee poo.
I'm sure there's more..............
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just joined that group. Thank you. I had no idea it existed. It still took some finding.  Blush .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Admin Offline
The Boss
A friend of mine is an avid bee keeper....his hives are on top of his garage (6), whilst in his garden you wouldn't even know they were there.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
A friend had hers in the attic with little windows for the bees to fly through. The neighbours didn't know about those either.Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man, Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Its summat I have always fancied getting into but earlier in life found it hard to justify the setting up costs? Now I am a bit more financially stable I might get round to having a go at being an apiarist..........possibly. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie