Tomato Craigella
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(21-11-2021, 08:56 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(20-11-2021, 12:02 AM)JJB Wrote:
(19-11-2021, 09:48 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 07:01 PM)JJB Wrote:   Watch this space later on in the year for results.

Did you get any results with your Craigella?

Still prone to greenback I'm afraid,  probably because I left the shading off at some times. Nice enough tom, but not spectacular taste,  good yeild and looked good on the plate an average uniform sized salad tomato. May give it another try.

Have you ever tried alicante? They are similar, high yielding and don't really suffer from greenback. I tend to use them mainly for cooking with and use gardeners delight and galina with salads.

TBH, I forget, probably.  I've got some seeds so I have proably grown them at some time.  I favoured Shirley, Akron and Ferline for salad sized toms, all of which are F1. In an effort to try some OP ones (plus Craigella were free) I gave it a try.  I'll see what alicante are like next year perhaps. Alway try different ones each year just for fun. I have a yen to try galina next year too.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Mark_Riga

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(21-11-2021, 09:50 PM)JJB Wrote:
(21-11-2021, 08:56 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(20-11-2021, 12:02 AM)JJB Wrote:
(19-11-2021, 09:48 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 07:01 PM)JJB Wrote:   Watch this space later on in the year for results.

Did you get any results with your Craigella?

Still prone to greenback I'm afraid,  probably because I left the shading off at some times. Nice enough tom, but not spectacular taste,  good yeild and looked good on the plate an average uniform sized salad tomato. May give it another try.

Have you ever tried alicante? They are similar, high yielding and don't really suffer from greenback. I tend to use them mainly for cooking with and use gardeners delight and galina with salads.

TBH, I forget, probably.  I've got some seeds so I have proably grown them at some time.  I favoured Shirley, Akron and Ferline for salad sized toms, all of which are F1. In an effort to try some OP ones (plus Craigella were free) I gave it a try.  I'll see what alicante are like next year perhaps. Alway try different ones each year just for fun. I have a yen to try galina next year too.
I think Craigella are similar to Shirley in size and don't appear to have the greenback problem which Ailsa Craig have.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • JJB