Do we have a Chicken board that’s hiding from me?
Neffa Offline
OK we have had ex bat chickens before but we (and I really me I) have decided that 3-4 girls would be a really good plan. 
I need some help and advice so I can either buy a house and run or bully my friend (who is very creative, practical and has loads of wood - think hoarder) into building me something to fit the place I’ve decided is right. 
X
Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. 

Quote author unknown.
[-] The following 2 users Like Neffa's post:
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I don't think we do have a chicken board, but I think we should have. Rolleyes

Chickens are very accommodating and if your friend is handy and has some scraps of wood......go for it. Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Neffa

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
We have now!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Neffa, Small chilli, Vinny

Broadway Offline
(23-05-2020, 05:14 PM)Neffa Wrote: OK we have had ex bat chickens before but we (and I really me I) have decided that 3-4 girls would be a really good plan. 
I need some help and advice so I can either buy a house and run or bully my friend (who is very creative, practical and has loads of wood - think hoarder) into building me something to fit the place I’ve decided is right. 
X
Hiya Neffa

Did you get anywhere with this? I watched an old river cottage video today and decided I may take the plunge!?!
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Do you have any questions Danny? Several of us keep/have kept hens.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Mikey Offline
Been a while since I had mine but, I had an omlet eglu which I build an enclosure around. My only negative to timber structures is their ease of cleaning. I used to steam clean the eglu out once a week and steam clean it once a month, never had any issues. When my chooks eventually passed on we sold it on eBay with very little difference to what we paid for it. I call that a win win.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(09-08-2020, 02:34 PM)Veggie Wrote: Do you have any questions Danny? Several of us keep/have kept hens.
Hi Veggie

Not at the moment thanks, it’s something I’ll look at next year when the plot is in a bit more shape.

There are quite a few keepers over the plot and some very fancy looking hens however my gut feel is I’d only do it to rescue some battery ones.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Veggie

Broadway Offline
(09-08-2020, 03:36 PM)Mikey Wrote: Been a while since I had mine but, I had an omlet eglu which I build an enclosure around. My only negative to timber structures is their ease of cleaning. I used to steam clean the eglu out once a week and steam clean it once a month, never had any issues. When my chooks eventually passed on we sold it on eBay with very little difference to what we paid for it. I call that a win win.
Hiya Mikey

Yes I've looked at the eglu's for years now and you’re right regards them holding their price, annoying reallySmile

If I were to see a bargain pop up on a well-known site I'll snap it up.
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Mikey, Veggie

Mikey Offline
They are good enough for three birds but, I wouldn’t want to put any more in unless they were bantams.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.