Which Cucurbits to grow.?
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Star 
I always grow courgettes which I like to eat. I am growing cucumbers which although I am not too fond of, don't mind eating now and again.
I am not fond of Butternut Squash but might have a go with another squash (yet to be decided)

The main reason for posting is, how about melons in a cold frame and what are the best and hardiest cultivars. Sharks fin is a nice plant but I have just found out I am not struck on the taste.(Probably because its a gourd?)

I have two raised beds (can be used as cold frames with a glass covering if required) . Each are about 1 metre X 2 metre. One will hold four courgette plants methinks, and the other is to hold a couple of yet to be determined cucurbits. The cucumbers will be in the greenhouse.

I'm thinking one melon and one squash? Any recommendations? Do squash not do better climbing rather than scrambling?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Tromboncino....................................
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(19-04-2021, 08:58 PM)Veggie Wrote: Tromboncino....................................
You need to listen to this lady. She knows what she’s on about.  Cool   Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
.............and that lady knows how to grow them - I'm hopeless!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Vinny Offline
I thought trombocino were climbers, and what are they like in the taste department, more to the point will they grow in NE England? Huh Cantaloupe melons may be better methinks? Tongue Big Grin Under glass of course.
I've got some of that Sharks fin bubbling away in a chicken soup to see what its like. Rolleyes
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
(19-04-2021, 09:35 PM)Veggie Wrote: .............and that lady knows how to grow them - I'm hopeless!!
Well if they won't grow in your neck of the woods, what chance have they where I come from! Rolleyes
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(19-04-2021, 10:10 PM)Vinny Wrote: I thought trombocino were climbers, and what are they like in the taste department, more to the point will they grow in NE England? Huh Cantaloupe melons may be better methinks? Tongue Big Grin Under glass of course.
I've got some of that Sharks fin bubbling away in a chicken soup to see what its like. Rolleyes
 Grow the tromboncino under glass as well as the melon. Yes they like climbing but so do melons. Doesn’t have to climb, just keep the actual squash off the ground. They taste like courgette, just need a longer cooking time.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(19-04-2021, 10:11 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(19-04-2021, 09:35 PM)Veggie Wrote: .............and that lady knows how to grow them - I'm hopeless!!
Well if they won't grow in your neck of the woods, what chance have they where I come from! Rolleyes
Veggie can grow them just fine. Especially if she takes the seeds out of the packet  Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny