High low thermometers
Jimny14 Offline
I've just ordered a couple of outdoor high low thermometers for a bit of interest. Just wondering if anyone uses them and how useful you find them. I dont have a green house but was considering putting one in the veg patch and one in the cold frame. Might help me make more informed decisions re planning times for planting etc. 
Those that have them do you use them and for what. Thanks.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
I've got lots. Two digital 'weather stations' with sensors that show outside temps but only one that records the 24 hr min max. That P, being a bit strange, records each night for a graph Smile 2 small digital ones (one in each gh). Several mechanical ones that just get plonked around in various places to test the temps. I find it's interesting to know whether you've missed a frosting.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14, Spec, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I've got one outdoors in a shady spot, mainly so I can compare the weather forecast with my local microclimate and get a feel for the likelihood of a frost, and one in my conservatory (with a hygrometer) so I can be sure the conditions are OK for my tender plants. TBH I don't check either of them religiously, but they're a useful sanity check when it feels really hot or cold.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec, Veggie

Bren Offline
I’ve got a basic digital one in my GF it’s handy to see how low and high it gets in there. Then on the house wall I have a hanging one that’s a clock one side with a thermometer on the other.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I have a couple of LIdl thermometers/weather stations - none of which agree about the actual temp! They're useful as they give an "idea" of the outside temp on an indoor receiver but I wouldn't stake my life on them.
Also a min/,max therm in the GH which I reset each evening to see what the overnight low has been. Think it came from Homebase when they were closing down.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Spec

Jimny14 Offline
Thanks everyone, sounds like most people are using them as I am planning except Bren. I have never considered fitting a thermometer to my girlfriend but each to their own.
[-] The following 5 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Eyren, Spec, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
P, being a bit strange and delighting in data and statistics, likes to view several of our local amateur weather station's recordings of the temps, rainfall and wind speed etc. We also have an airfield nearby which reports to the met office. In fairness they are never exactly the same as mine due to topography but offer a sanity check. I like my thermometers wouldn't be without them, but it's all a bit academic how low the temp has gone if everything's been clobbered. Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:

Spec Offline
I have a high, low and actual, thermometer just so that I can check how well my plant protection is working, last night the low was-2c. but all my plants looked OK, I cover everything with fleece and keep a fan going overnight, it would appear that with moving air the plants don't get frosted
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
We have one on the covered terrace and then a weather station from which we upload the data to wunderground.
MrPP built a little digital display giving time, date and weather station temperature that sits beside the bed. Perfect for an insomniac gardener fretting about frosts !
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, Spec

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(11-04-2021, 06:30 PM)Spec Wrote: I have a high, low and actual, thermometer just so that I  can check how well my plant protection is working, last night the low was-2c. but all my plants looked OK, I cover everything with fleece and keep a fan going overnight, it would appear that with moving air the plants don't get frosted

As well as using windmills the vignerons light candles to warm and move the air against the frosts - this article has a stunning photo of them burning last week. https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/meteo/me...1617699499
Our local vineyards (Madiran) have really suffered with the vines frosted Sad
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Eyren, Greenfingers, Spec, Veggie