Dahlias 2021
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I don't think they will - a tuber sprouts from the very base of the stem/just at the top of the tuber. Where you can often see the small bumps that indicate where it will sprout.
The ones with a think neck and a bulb on the end don't have sprouting points....so if you cut the stem too low ( lower than its seed leaves) it's unlikely that it will resprout. If you haven't cut the stem all away it should resprout?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • mcdood, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(15-04-2021, 09:33 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I don't think they will - a tuber sprouts from the very base of the stem/just at the top of the tuber. Where you can often see the small bumps that indicate where it will sprout.
The ones with a think neck and a bulb on the end don't have sprouting points....so if you cut the stem too low ( lower than its seed leaves) it's unlikely that it will resprout. If you haven't cut the stem all away it should resprout?
After seeing that one dead top had a small tuber, I just left the rest alone so I will see what happens. Shy
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Scarlet

mcdood Offline
Vinny I had some dahlia seedlings in the ground last may when we were hit by a very late frost. The plants turned black and looked very dead but I cut back some of the dead growth leaving a small stem as I had nothing else to go in that bed and was amazed to see that every one of them survived, so give it a try.
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Scarlet, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Just an update. The seed sown Dahlias that suffered when hit by the cold have started to sprout again. Cool

I'm glad I didn't chuck them out, even though they looked dead. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Spec

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've been busy trying to get my dahlias in the ground. A few by photos to show my progress in my "veg plot". I've laid down weed suppressing for a path. I've pegged one down so far. I will lift this in the autumn.

I'm hoping to have 3 double rows of 20 or 21 plants in the row. Not yet sure how I'm going to support them. You know me - I hate the diy bit. I thought I could use the old chicken electric fence stretch across but the holes are too small. I used steel supports last year cut up 6mm steel rods - but they've gone upto £6 for a 6metre length!! I can have for £3 if I don't have them cut but I can't get them in the car. I was wondering if I bought some bolt croppers Big Grin I could cut in half quickly? But I'd end up spending £20 on the bolt croppers!! 

[-] The following 7 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, JJB, MartinH, mcdood, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've also a large border that is sloped, and has a large hawthorn tree near. I'm going to see whether I can grow dahlias in this. It does get sun most of the day during summer - maybe a touch of shade on the edges. So started planting out - unfortunately the end third of the bed is full of annual flowers. I will just leave them and I will change things around next year if this works. Ideally I would leave the tubers in here. The soil is lighter, it's very drained and is sheltered by the house, and then two walls. So doesn't get much wether like the rest of the garden.        
[-] The following 6 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, JJB, MartinH, mcdood, Small chilli, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
The warmth this week has moved the dahlias along and yesterday the first flower opened - little Dracula.

Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 7 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • doublyjonah, JJB, mcdood, Scarlet, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

mcdood Offline
Still not very many Dahlias in flower yet. I sowed some Dahlia giant mixed seeds, I love this tangerine one, definitely a keeper Smile

[-] The following 7 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Bren, doublyjonah, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
All the dahlias bar one are now flowering, although quite a few didn't appear - I fear I was too generous with the water before the first shoots appeared Sad

In order of flowering

Catherine Deneuve

CanCan

After Dusk

Tartan 

Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Bren, mcdood, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
All gorgeous!