Dahlias 2021
mcdood Offline
Yes they will make a tuber in the first year Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yes they do... I have a tray of seedlings on the go too.

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(06-04-2021, 03:44 PM)Scarlet Wrote: Yes they do... I have a tray of seedlings on the go too.
Next question....I've just potted on a dozen annual chrysanthemums, will they make 'stools' for taking cuttings next year or are they true annuals and just die at end of season?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons

Spec Offline
Vinny, you will never know till you try, I think if you can keep them in leaf over the winter, you might get some cuttings material next year
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Scarlet, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've be never grown chrysanthemum from seed but even lupins grown from seed will produce enough material the second year to take some basal cuttings? So I think you will be ok.

Spec Offline
Scarlet, the chrisathimum that Vinny is growing is an annual, whereas the lupin is a perennial, short lived but still perennial, that's why I think if it's kept in leaf it could well throw some new growth

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(06-04-2021, 09:03 PM)Spec Wrote: Scarlet, the chrisathimum that Vinny is growing is an annual, whereas the lupin is a perennial, short lived but still perennial, that's why I think if it's kept in leaf it could well through some new growth
I missed the annual bit!

For annuals I would just save seed.

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
Scarlet...wow. I am probably wrong and the only thing that jumps out is

1. Belle de barmera
7. Black Narcissus
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Norfolk Grey's post:
  • Scarlet

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Here's a question for the dahlia aficionado's.

My seed sown cactus dahlias were taken to the allotment and on there first evening there got frosted. About half were affected so I decided to pull these out of their modules. On pulling out the first one I was surprised to see it had already formed a below ground small tuber.
Is there a possibility that they might sprout again from these small underground tubers which seemed unaffected as only the tops were frosted. Or am I kidding myself by leaving them be and snipping the dead tops off.? Huh

I have left them anyway to see what happens. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons

Spec Offline
It's as what's been said before, you won't know until you try, and I am very interested in knowing what that your answer will be