Dahlias 2021
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Mcdood, how far apart do you space yours?? I'm trying to fit as many in as possible Big Grin - but at the same time I don't want them crammed and want a decent sized path to walk through. Last year was a bit tricky to get in and deadhead etc.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • mcdood

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(06-04-2021, 10:18 AM)mcdood Wrote: Difficult to put names to them Scarlet as there are so many similar looking varieties and the flowers have gone over. Just going off what I have I think your burgundy pompom could be Natal?
Yes, they were all frosted. But I took the photos to give me some idea and I love a little guessing game along the way.
  • mcdood

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
What amazing lists Scarlet & mcdood. I can't wait to see all the photos in the summer.

My little list -

New this year
Catherine Deneuve
French Cancan
Dracula

Oldies
After Dusk
Tartan
And ?Hulin's Carnival

I have lots of cuttings from the ?Hulin's Carnival thanks to a voracious cutworm in the pot last year so it will be interesting to see the colour range as the original was very varied, although I'm guessing they won't flower this year Sad

They're just starting to shoot ... Smile
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Scarlet, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Can’t help at all with names but number 7 is stunning, I love that.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Scarlet

mcdood Offline
(06-04-2021, 10:20 AM)Scarlet Wrote: Mcdood, how far apart do you space yours?? I'm trying to fit as many in as possible Big Grin - but at the same time I don't want them crammed and want a decent sized path to walk through. Last year was a bit tricky to get in and deadhead etc.

I grow them far too close Scarlett.  I suppose it depends on the size of plant some are monsters but some are quite dwarf.  I grow a lot in containers at home and I'm gradually spilling over to beds on the allotment Smile The larger ones really should be in the ground to be happy but I don't have the land at home.  I've been very good and I think only bought 1 tuber this year but then again I've just pricked out 30 Llandaff seedings this morning, it's a bit addictive as you well know Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcdood's post:
  • Scarlet

mcdood Offline
(06-04-2021, 10:38 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I'm guessing they won't flower this year Sad

They're just starting to shoot ... Smile

They should PP. I've grown from cuttings and seeds around this time of year and theyve flowered, in fact cuttings are said to be more vigorous and floriferous than the original tubers
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yes, agree with Mcdood. I cut my tubers into bits and they all flower. Sown from seed they flower too. So no reason not to flower unless you get something eating it.

Though I must say I think last years Spring was much warmer?? So things were a little bit further along now for me.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • mcdood, PyreneesPlot

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I love the dark red ones too SC.
It may be black jack ....
  • Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
This one is chat noir...which I have already. I will compare when it flowers.

My camera phone doesn't always capture the colour that well...and the blooms can also change colour throughout the season.

It's a semi Cactus - about a metre tall here.

[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • mcdood, PyreneesPlot

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I have a load of mixed cactus dahlia seedlings that will be taken into the greenhouse soon to harden off a bit. Am I right in thinking these will make tubers at the end of the year? 

If so, I will pick out the best of them to take cuttings from them following year.I must have about forty seedlings potted into a module tray just now and won't need that many in the future.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons