Plug plants/Jiffy 7s
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I've used coir pellets with really good results in the past and only stopped because of the cost.

The plants do surprisingly well even when the roots get air pruned. The net has usually largely broken down by the time the plants are finished.

I'm going back to them next year, I like the fact that they are made from a byproduct but not that they come from the tropics. Buying a box of 150 seems most cost effective.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
The choir based once don't dry out as quick and the large ones are great for beans
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Spec Offline
I received some wave petunias plugs from T&M today, they came in small open sided firm plastic containers they are supplied in strips of five, the concept is quite good, but when the plants were removed for potting on they all had a mass of roots at the base and all shaped in a square, personally I pull these roots out to loosen them as I think shaped like that they will just continue winding like that, I was successful with some, others the roots broke, the root plugs are about the size of my pinky nail, so rather small for trying to do delicate work on them
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Spec Offline
(01-05-2021, 05:38 PM)Veggie Wrote: I've just found some really old jiffy pellets in the GH. Giving them a soak to see if there's still life in them!
Having Duck,ducked them I see they're doing Coir pellets now and some have paper wrappers.
They're so easy and mess-free, and bags of compost are of such variable quality, that its tempting to try the coir ones.
Has anyone done so, please?

Veggie if the jiffy pellets are peat based, try sitting them in water with washing up liquid added, evedently an eco soap would be better, but not an absolute necessity, the soap breaks down a waxy skin that forms on peat when it dries out, it's this skin that stops water absorbtion on the pellets
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Spec Offline
^^^^^ Might also work with peat free, I have never tried it but you have nothing to loose giving it a go
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(01-05-2021, 07:10 PM)Admin Wrote: The choir based once don't dry out as quick and the large ones are great for beans

Is that because they have been in the pub all afternoon and do they serenade the plants as they grow?
[-] The following 6 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man, JJB, Mikey, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
Bloody auto correct Smile
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 4 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey, Veggie

Mikey Offline
(01-05-2021, 08:39 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 07:10 PM)Admin Wrote: The choir based once don't dry out as quick and the large ones are great for beans

Is that because they have been in the pub all afternoon and do they serenade the plants as they grow?
To my knowledge they are made in Treorchy. Big Grin
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie