Garden And Gossip Forums
Vinny's Allotment Plot - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: My Garden Diary (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+--- Forum: Where it all began (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=62)
+--- Thread: Vinny's Allotment Plot (/showthread.php?tid=98)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - JJB - 23-02-2021

I have finally got my head round your plan. Thanks for the pics, I do like the chevron layout.

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Vinny - 25-02-2021

Quite a productive couple of hours at allotment today. Managed to get another diagonal path and bed established and part planted. Cool

One of my strawberry beds was in the way and the strawberries were ready for thinning out anyway. After taking a few beds apart I realised that because they are hinged at each corner they can be re-sited as a parallelogram to suit my new beds if I so wish.The positions seen in the piccies aren't where they will be........its just an option if I care to utilise them. Rolleyes

After much raking/ digging out weeds I decided to trim some of the strawberry plants and re-plant them in the new bed. 20 plants were planted out and the ones I have left I may pot up and grow on for an early crop in the greenhouse.

Here's a few before and after piccies (in no particular order) so you can see it isn't just about setting up new beds, but demolishing old beds a lot of which are already planted up.

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - PyreneesPlot - 25-02-2021

I really like the way this is starting to look - why shouldn't a garden or allotment be productive and visually interesting.
Wait 'til google earth updates and you can see it from above. (Sorry, I seem to be obsessed with overhead views!!)

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Admin - 25-02-2021

Its going to look great Vinny.....given me an idea for plot 3

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Spec - 25-02-2021

Yes Vinny looking good, I think you are doing a great job

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Vinny - 27-02-2021

Thanks for the kind comments.

As it was bright today I spent 1.5 hours at the plot progressing with the bed system. Because I am a carer for OH I didn't want to leave her for too long. Gone are the days I would work on the plot from sun up to sundown. Rolleyes Smile

Managed to get a couple of small beds finished at the bottom. I think one more long bed at the top will do me for this season. I hate pulling perfectly healthy plants up. Sick

Probably won't get to the plot tomorrow, but I don't think there is anything spoiling for the mo.

You are probably sick of similar piccies but I have added a couple with the bit I got done today (just as a record for myself) and a one of some of my carrots which are still good to eat and haven't gone 'hairy ' yet. Cool

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Broadway - 27-02-2021

(27-02-2021, 06:50 PM)Vinny Wrote: Thanks for the kind comments.

As it was bright today I spent 1.5 hours at the plot progressing with the bed system. Because I am a carer for OH I didn't want to leave her for too long. Gone are the days I would work on the plot from sun up to sundown. Rolleyes Smile

Managed to get a couple of small beds finished at the bottom. I think one more long bed at the top will do me for this season. I hate pulling perfectly healthy plants up. Sick

Probably won't get to the plot tomorrow, but I don't think there is anything spoiling for the mo.

You are probably sick of similar piccies but I have added a couple with the bit I got done today (just as a record for myself) and a one of some of my carrots which are still good to eat and haven't gone 'hairy ' yet. Cool
Nice one fella although I can't seem to open the photos??

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Vinny - 27-02-2021

(27-02-2021, 06:54 PM)Broadway Wrote:

I made a balls up and hopefully have edited post correctly. Huh

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Broadway - 27-02-2021

(27-02-2021, 06:57 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(27-02-2021, 06:54 PM)Broadway Wrote:

I made a balls up and hopefully have edited post correctly. Huh
All good now Smile I like the pallet collars on the angle.

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Vinny - 28-02-2021

I have been doing a bit of research and may purchase this.

https://www.diy.com/departments/capital-valley-plastics-ltd-black-500-micron-damp-proof-course-l-30m-w-338mm/5060405960946_BQ.prd

30 metres X 338mm which is near enough to my 14" path width to make no difference. Not permeable but at that width it doesn't really matter and any rain shed off will water the beds. Because the plot has a gentle fall there should be no puddling either.
Once laid, I may even be able to get rid of the delineating strings and use the edge as the path widths. Smile

Once we get into April and the ground firms up I will be able to get a load of woodchip delivered to cover it. Cool