Garden And Gossip Forums
Vinny's Allotment Plot - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: My Garden Diary (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+--- Forum: Where it all began (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=62)
+--- Thread: Vinny's Allotment Plot (/showthread.php?tid=98)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Veggie - 08-06-2023

A single courgette!!!! I'll say no more. Big Grin

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Vinny - 09-06-2023

(08-06-2023, 02:41 PM)Veggie Wrote: A single courgette!!!! I'll say no more. Big Grin
One word for you Veggie............CARNIVORE! Tongue Big Grin

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - JJB - 09-06-2023

(09-06-2023, 08:36 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(08-06-2023, 02:41 PM)Veggie Wrote: A single courgette!!!! I'll say no more. Big Grin

I bet your mam told you to eat your greens Vinny, they're good for you.  Smile

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Vinny - 09-06-2023

(09-06-2023, 09:08 AM)JJB Wrote:
(09-06-2023, 08:36 AM)Vinny Wrote:

I bet your mam told you to eat your greens Vinny, they're good for you.  Smile
Phah! Tongue Rolleyes

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Vinny - 11-06-2023

Spent an hour and a half at plot hand weeding buttercups. some were round gooseberry bushes and others had been invaded with wild blackberry canes. Confused

Sod this sez I, my hands are tingling with the amount of thorns and nettles I have grabbed by mistake and it's far too hot to be toiling at the plot just now. Apart from that I had just had a Barre session and I was ready for my dinner. Big Grin No piccies, but I didn't think you would want to see heaps of wilting buttercups! Rolleyes

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Vinny - 15-06-2023

Back again this evenig (once it had cooled down a bit) and did some hoe-ing of paths. We have a skip on site so decided to try and get rid of the multitude of stones I have taken out of the beds. I had them in a heap next to my gate and had to use a fork to loosen them, a spade to move them then a shovel to pick them up and put them in a metal bucket to take to the skip. After more than a dozen loads tipped I was still only about 2/3 oof the way through them. Then I developed a blister! Blush I used to have tough, rough hands when I was working, but since retirement my hands are alway clean and soft like a babies backside. I just hope I haven't developd a handshake like a wet lettuce.
Anyway, blister stopped play unntil I got home and put a plaster on.I remember when I was an apprentice many years ago, the favoured way to treat blisters was to pee on them! Rolleyes

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Veggie - 15-06-2023

Bit too much information there, Vinny. Big Grin
When I was working I had to visit a sheep's wool grading and packing warehouse in mid-Wales. The workmen insisted on shaking hands with me so that I could feel how soft their hands were - from the lanolin in the fleece. Then they took me into the room where they stored the daggings to see if they could upset my stomach with the smell. I think I was more alarmed by their soft hands than the stench. Big Grin

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Vinny - 16-06-2023

(15-06-2023, 11:45 PM)Veggie Wrote: Bit too much information there, Vinny. Big Grin
When I was working I had to visit a sheep's wool grading and packing warehouse in mid-Wales. The workmen insisted on shaking hands with me so that I could feel how soft their hands were - from the lanolin in the fleece. Then they took me into the room where they stored the daggings to see if they could upset my stomach with the smell. I think I was more alarmed by their soft hands than the stench. Big Grin
Blokes with wet lettuce hand shakes give me the shivers, I'm afraid to say! Confused Dunno whether I am being politically correct here, but I honestly don't care.  Tongue

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - JJB - 16-06-2023

(16-06-2023, 08:26 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(15-06-2023, 11:45 PM)Veggie Wrote: Bit too much information there, Vinny. Big Grin
Blokes with wet lettuce hand shakes give me the shivers, I'm afraid to say! Confused Dunno whether I am being politically correct here, but I honestly don't care.  Tongue

P wholeheartedly agrees, wet lettuces are creepy

RE: Vinny's Allotment Plot - Vinny - 17-06-2023

Called at the plot after my morning workout. Watered what needed watering. I know that rain is forecast for this evening or tomorrow so a priority was for rain capture off the greenhouse roof. I had a storage butt on the corner of the greenhouse but it toppled slightly and broke a pane of glass. Seeing as it's nearly empty I managed to move it away from the glass and added a large pot with a grapevine in it to the place it had occupied. The idea is that the grapevine can grow up through the chunk of glass missing that was broken by the water butt. Rolleyes
The watr butt is now 2 feet away from where it was so needed to be plumbed to the gutter outlet from the greenhouse roof. As a 'Heath Robinson' makeshift measure, and using what I had, I wedged a lump of plastic guttering to the greenhouse outlet and have it directed towards the water butt. Next time I am at the plot I will take my roll of 'Gaffer tape' with me and secure it so the wind doesn't dislodge it. Not the pretttiiest of solutions, but it should funnel the rainwater where it needs to go.
My next door neighbour has strimmed the outside of their fence and my exterior fenceline looked shabby. I spent a short time on my hands and knees pulling the weeds out of mine to tidy it up a bit. A human strimmer so to speak! Smile

I did a bit of hand weeding on the plot itself, had a bit natter with a friend, pulled up some seeded onions, loaded some more stones into the skip and then scranned  a few ripe strawberries before leaving for home.