Garden And Gossip Forums
Rainbow carrots - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Roots (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=139)
+--- Thread: Rainbow carrots (/showthread.php?tid=929)

Pages: 1 2

Rainbow carrots - Vinny - 10-03-2021

Just ordered some rainbow carrot seed to give them a try. Has anyone on here grown them and are they worth it. Idea

I thought they may add a bit of colour to the plate but wondered about taste ie are they bland or quite tasty? Huh

Its a day of questions for me and I am  waiting to see if I get any more feedback (couple of ideas up til now) from my Spinach query before ordering seed. Smile

RE: Rainbow carrots - Veggie - 10-03-2021

I mix up all the carrot seeds anyway - different sizes and colours.
I have a slight problem with veggies that are not the colour I expect them to be - like blue potatoes, white tomatoes and purple/white carrots. I've only just got around to appreciating yellow beetroot.
Before any knowledgeable person comes along and says that carrots weren't originally orange, I know that, but its the colour I expect them to be to taste "right".
http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/carrotcolours.html

RE: Rainbow carrots - Admin - 10-03-2021

Philistine, would it help if you had a degree in Art? Wink

RE: Rainbow carrots - Eyren - 10-03-2021

I'm going to grow some purple and yellow carrots this year, just for a change.

My main observation re the purple ones (which often appear in our organic veg delivery in the summer) is that if you put them in a soup or stew, they'll turn it bright purple! I don't mind eating individual vegetables that are an unusual colour, but soup the colour of blackcurrant yogurt is a step too far Smile

Hence I prefer to eat them steamed or raw, or maybe oven-roasted with herbs and garlic.

RE: Rainbow carrots - Small chilli - 10-03-2021

I grow rainbow carrots. They grow really well. It’s also great fun not knowing what colour you’re going to get for your tea.

RE: Rainbow carrots - Veggie - 10-03-2021

(10-03-2021, 03:02 PM)Admin Wrote: Philistine, would it help if you had a degree in Art? Wink
I have an O level - does that count? Smile

RE: Rainbow carrots - JJB - 10-03-2021

I have grown White satin, Solar Yellow, Red Samurai and Cosmic Purple. I found the yellow, white and purple ones were very 'carroty' in taste which I like. The red ones were unremarkable and didn't grow well. I intend to sow the yellow, white and purple again.

RE: Rainbow carrots - Vinny - 10-03-2021

(10-03-2021, 09:07 PM)JJB Wrote: I have grown White satin, Solar Yellow, Red Samurai and Cosmic Purple.  I found the yellow, white and purple ones were  very 'carroty' in taste which I like.  The red ones were unremarkable and didn't grow well.  I intend to sow the yellow, white and purple again.
Interesting. Smile

Do they keep there colour when they are cooked? Huh

RE: Rainbow carrots - Can the Man - 10-03-2021

I grew them last year not a great success, grand kids wouldn’t eat them because they were the wrong colour, they were a bit small and thin but tasted ok. I have more seed for this year just no room for them at the moment in the tunnel as I have 4 beds of carrots at different stages of growth.

RE: Rainbow carrots - Small chilli - 10-03-2021

(10-03-2021, 09:44 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 09:07 PM)JJB Wrote: I have grown White satin, Solar Yellow, Red Samurai and Cosmic Purple.  I found the yellow, white and purple ones were  very 'carroty' in taste which I like.  The red ones were unremarkable and didn't grow well.  I intend to sow the yellow, white and purple again.
Interesting. Smile

Do they keep there colour when they are cooked? Huh
Yellow & white keep there colour when cooked . Purple depends on variety. Purple haze for example is only purple skinned. Purple sun is all purple and keeps it’s colour when cooked. There are other varieties that stay purple.