Garden And Gossip Forums
2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Tomato (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes (/showthread.php?tid=725)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Scarlet - 08-02-2021

As VC a said - I think you still have them in the prop? As soon as mine show green I whip them out and grow on in the lightest spot.

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Scarlet - 09-02-2021

If they aren't in a heated prop. They need to be growing on slightly cooler. A windowsill should be colder than the rest of the room? Mine stay on the windowsill, keep turning the tray. Growing cool with as much light as you can give them will stop them getting to leggy.

Though mine are pretty tall at the moment. When I pot on I try to find the tallest narrowest pot I can find and pot deep.

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Can the Man - 09-02-2021

Thanks Veggie and Scarlet
The prop is not heated
They are on a window sill and I do rotate them.
I think they are still to delicate to pot into bigger pots.
There is a radiator under the window sill
I have taken the cover off now for during the day and will put back on at night as the heating goes off and the room will get cold.

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Veggie - 09-02-2021

Can you move them to a windowsill without a radiator...........and rotate them more often?

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Can the Man - 09-02-2021

yes I can but then it might be cold for them
[attachment=2148]
[attachment=2149]

If I repot them now into individual pots how deep do I go into the pot ? All the way down to the 2 leaves ?
I intend planting them in raised beds in the poly tunnel when they are strong enough and the frost and cold weather is gone April maybe ?

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - JJB - 09-02-2021

Yep Can, plant the down to their first seedling leaves at this stage, I've even buried the larger plants deep too if they've become straggly

If they're indoors, they'll be warm enough. You don't want them to be too advanced yet as its a month or two before they can go out in your PT.

These are my early ones - potted on as deep as I could. Choose deep pots as you need to keep the roots going straight down,  not curled.
There are a couple of tiny Vilma seedlings that I should have left to grow a bit more before transplanting them but they were the last in the modules and I needed to empty it.

This windowsill is nowhere near a radiator - I move the plants away from the window before drawing the curtains in the evening.

[attachment=2151] [attachment=2150]

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Vinny - 09-02-2021

(09-02-2021, 03:32 PM)Veggie Wrote: If they're indoors, they'll be warm enough. You don't want them to be too advanced yet as its a month or two before they can go out in your PT.

These are my early ones - potted on as deep as I could. Choose deep pots as you need to keep the roots going straight down,  not curled.
There are a couple of tiny Vilma seedlings that I should have left to grow a bit more before transplanting them but they were the last in the modules and I needed to empty it.

This windowsill is nowhere near a radiator - I move the plants away from the window before drawing the curtains in the evening.
I could do with some of those deep pots for potting on myself. Cool Must have a google or DuckDuck for them. Rolleyes

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Vinny - 09-02-2021

Just checked the propagator and my Heinz and Black Russian toms are up. Cool

You could use disposable plastic cups as pots - if they still exist?