Garden And Gossip Forums
2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Tomato (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes (/showthread.php?tid=725)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - JJB - 02-01-2021

That's the downfall for me, I've no spare room windowsill. Nevermind I'm sowing something today

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Veggie - 02-01-2021

Get rid of some of the junk on your windowsill to make room or put a table against the window or pretend its a house plant - you'll find a way to squeeze a couple of pots in if you want to. Just think of eating those first tomatoes of 2021 - they're the taste I look forward to all winter.

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Mamzie - 02-01-2021

I just looked back, my first tomatoes were Gold Nugget, 7 June. My early plants were all bush ones

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Veggie - 02-01-2021

Well done, Mamzie. Smile
I looked back too and I was waiting for Tiny Tim to ripen on 30th May but Scarlet beat me to it. Tongue
It won't happen this year. Wink

I picked Red Robin first on 26 June from a 21 February sowing

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Scarlet - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 02:59 PM)Veggie Wrote: Well done, Mamzie. Smile
I looked back too and I was waiting for Tiny Tim to ripen on 30th May but Scarlet beat me to it. Tongue
It won't happen this year. Wink
Wanna bet?! Big Grin

Mine will be sown asap  - jus a few Bush varieties to get those early tomatoes to keep me going until the main ones kick in. 
JJB - if you only grow bush Tom's early - they don't stretch out as much as cordons.
Then sow your cordons when the light levels are better so you don't get leggy plants.

As soon as my cordons start producing I pick all the bush Tom's and get rid of those plants - they generally fruit over a short period while cordons will fruit for months.

Exactly the way I have done since growing windowsill toms, Scarlet. Although I will be a bit earlier with Red Robin due to Veggie's enthusiasm. I may even try sowing one or two tumblers early too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a different variety in the seed swap.

When you say bush, Scarlet, do you mean dwarf bush, or normal bush? I steer clear of 'maincrop' bush plants as they only go outside, take up too much room and the slugs get the fruit on the ground. I can see what's going on with cordons.

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Mamzie - 02-01-2021

I grow my early bush in pots on windowsill, then onto pots in the greenhouse x

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Veggie - 10-01-2021

UPDATE
A couple of Minibel have germinated, Bajaja will be next up.Smile

RE: 2021 - Growing Early Tomatoes - Scarlet - 11-01-2021

My garden Pearl have germinated- I need to find some other bush Tom's to widen my chances Big Grin