Garden And Gossip Forums
Recommendations - Gloves and Secateurs Please - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Recommendations (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=135)
+--- Thread: Recommendations - Gloves and Secateurs Please (/showthread.php?tid=694)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Recommendations - Gloves and Secateurs Please - JJB - 14-12-2020

(13-12-2020, 05:09 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I like Fiskars secateurs. I have a ratchet action pair which are good for when my hands are sore, plus a bright yellow pair which, in theory,  I shouldn't lose too often. I've  had quite a few pairs now.

PP, do you find ratchet ones easier to grip/close?  You mention sore hands, I find my existing bypass secateurs are becoming difficult as I have small hands and arthritis developing  in my knuckles (it's a devil getting old) so clenching can hurt.  Are ratchet ones the answer?

RE: Recommendations - Gloves and Secateurs Please - Spec - 14-12-2020

I have a pair of ratchet secatures and I suppose they are a bit easier to work but still require a bit of pressure, if you are having difficulty squeezing something with your hands I would suggest looking for a small good quality pruning saw less pressure on the joints and easier for pruning those slightly thicker branches, once I get old that what I will be using

RE: Recommendations - Gloves and Secateurs Please - PyreneesPlot - 14-12-2020

(14-12-2020, 11:10 AM)JJB Wrote:
(13-12-2020, 05:09 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I like Fiskars secateurs. I have a ratchet action pair which are good for when my hands are sore, plus a bright yellow pair which, in theory,  I shouldn't lose too often. I've  had quite a few pairs now.

PP, do you find ratchet ones easier to grip/close?  You mention sore hands, I find my existing bypass secateurs are becoming difficult as I have small hands and arthritis developing  in my knuckles (it's a devil getting old) so clenching can hurt.  Are ratchet ones the answer?

Yes I do, JJB that's why I have them as I have rheumatoid arthritis with some joint damage in my thumbs and little fingers. But the cut is much less clean so any pruning that needs a really sharp cut gets done with conventional ones. The ratchet ones do allow me to work longer.

RE: Recommendations - Gloves and Secateurs Please - Veggie - 14-07-2021

I've just bought some Felco No 4 secateurs from TFSR Cymru  This pair actually! https://www.tfsrcymru.org.uk/tool-sales/products/felco-no-4-standard-secateurs/?fbclid=IwAR1msqoZqWd9-Rox3k0tomd3a8jHMgatep7cIM3M2nVTer10379PgI9RsKY
Its a fantastic charity and they have some amazing tools for sale. I've bought a few things from them at festivals and given them tools too.
If you're looking for refurbished garden and DIY tools try this place first.Smile

RE: Recommendations - Gloves and Secateurs Please - Small chilli - 14-07-2021

They popped up on my fb feed  Smile . They do have some fantastic old tools in sometimes.

RE: Recommendations - Gloves and Secateurs Please - Veggie - 14-07-2021

That's where I saw them too and remembered that Felco's had been recommended on here - so I flashed my card.Big Grin
I need to train the dogs to find my secateurs in the garden - Bess & Ted are really good at finding hidden balls and sticks so I'm sure they could find secateurs too. Spud is a lazy so and so and watches.Wink

RE: Recommendations - Gloves and Secateurs Please - Scarlet - 14-07-2021

I use Felcos. I love them. I've had them for 20 years and use them all the time.

Globe I use "town and country" they are leather ones that my garden centre stock. I like to try them on as I have all hands and don't like the fingers too long! I like leather ones if I'm doing brambles/ roses etc. all the rest of my gardening I do without.

RE: Recommendations - Gloves and Secateurs Please - JJB - 15-07-2021

How do you get on with leather gloves when they get wet, muddy and crusty? I had some that became so hard I couldn't bend the fingers. For gloves I stick to cheap rubber dipped elastic wrist cheapo ones, they give a better tactile feedback. Sometimes even resort to rubber gloves for delicate work but do have leather gauntlets for thorny escapades.

RE: Recommendations - Gloves and Secateurs Please - Veggie - 15-07-2021

I wear 2 pairs of gloves if doing thorny work - a thicker rubbery pair outside and a thinner pair underneath for delicate work. Easy to peel off the thick ones when not needed.

RE: Recommendations - Gloves and Secateurs Please - Scarlet - 15-07-2021

I can't use rubber gloves - they make my hands sweat and are no good for thorns. I don't wear gloves for day to day gardening. Big elbow length welders glovers for brambles - those cheap big things. My small leather gloves for pruning roses.

They do go hard if wet but soon soften with wear?