Garden And Gossip Forums
Flowers beginning with B - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Flowers and Ornamentals (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Forum: All about Flowers and Ornamentals (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Flowers beginning with B (/showthread.php?tid=600)

Pages: 1 2

Flowers beginning with B - Veggie - 23-10-2020

We've done A although we should go back and update it with our progress - when we've sowed, how they growedSmile.

Now its time to compare notes about flowers starting with B that we grow or would like to grow (with reasons) .[Image: wink.png]

RE: Flowers beginning with B - Veggie - 23-10-2020

There are surprisingly few flowers beginning with B (unlike C!)
Next year, I must grow Bergamot aka Bee Balm..............although having looked it up it should be Monarda didyma.
Its my only "must grow B" although I may have a crack at Brachycombe/Swan River Daisy

RE: Flowers beginning with B - Mark_Riga - 23-10-2020

There's one I would stop growing, if I could - buttercup (creeping type).
But there are a few to choose from:
bluebell
blackeyed Susan
bellflower
begonia
bleeding heart
ball dahlias
busy Lizzie
borage

and an old favourite, bindweed.

RE: Flowers beginning with B - Small chilli - 23-10-2020

I’d like to grow black eyed Susan. Mostly because my grandad named one of my chicken after it. Also I think it’s bee friendly.

RE: Flowers beginning with B - JJB - 24-10-2020

I always try to grow busy lizzies and begonias for bedding, with varying degrees of success. Must try harder. Bluebells?? You've gotta be joking, I dig 'em up and bin them.

RE: Flowers beginning with B - Small chilli - 24-10-2020

(24-10-2020, 10:05 AM)JJB Wrote: I always try to grow busy lizzies and begonias for bedding, with varying degrees of success.  Must try harder.  Bluebells??  You've gotta be joking, I dig 'em up and bin them.
Don’t bin them!!!! Offer them on here as a swap or something. someone might like them. You can get them to send self addressed envelope so you’re not out of pocket. Just a thought    Blush .

RE: Flowers beginning with B - Veggie - 24-10-2020

(24-10-2020, 10:05 AM)JJB Wrote: I always try to grow busy lizzies and begonias for bedding, with varying degrees of success.  Must try harder. 
I pick up a tray of cheapo busy lizzies/begonias for a couple of hanging baskets - their tiny seeds are way too fiddly for me.
The tuberous Begonias are well worth growing though - come back year after year here with no overwintering needed. There's one growing on the edge of a patch of brambles - I've no idea how it got there as its the sort of daft place that even I wouldn't have chosen.Smile

Plenty of bluebells here too but not all are English ones - there are some of those Spanish invaders amongst them - that I try to pull up when I spot them but they still seem to appear the next year.

(24-10-2020, 12:29 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(24-10-2020, 10:05 AM)JJB Wrote: I always try to grow busy lizzies and begonias for bedding, with varying degrees of success.  Must try harder. 
I pick up a tray of cheapo busy lizzies/begonias for a couple of hanging baskets - their tiny seeds are way too fiddly for me.
The tuberous Begonias are well worth growing though - come back year after year here with no overwintering needed. There's one growing on the edge of a patch of brambles - I've no idea how it got there as its the sort of daft place that even I wouldn't have chosen.Smile

Plenty of bluebells here too but not all are English ones - there are some of those Spanish invaders amongst them - that I try to pull up when I spot them but they still seem to appear the next year.
All mine are Spanish invaders  (auto correct made that to 'spanish in waders'  conjured up an image - wellies and frilly skirts with castanets  Big Grin) I doubt if anyone would want some but you only have to ask.  In the spring they take over.

(24-10-2020, 12:09 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(24-10-2020, 10:05 AM)JJB Wrote: I always try to grow busy lizzies and begonias for bedding, with varying degrees of success.  Must try harder.  Bluebells??  You've gotta be joking, I dig 'em up and bin them.
Don’t bin them!!!! Offer them on here as a swap or something. someone might like them. You can get them to send self addressed envelope so you’re not out of pocket. Just a thought    Blush .

If you want any just say.  They're the Spanish type which are thugs!

(24-10-2020, 12:29 PM)Veggie Wrote:

V do you mean tuberous (corms) that usually go in hanging baskets and pots or fibrous for bedding?  One year I dug up the fibrous ones and put them in the compost, next spring  dug the compost and found some very nice roots all sprouting, a lovely surprise.  I've brought a window  box  of fibrous ones into the porch to see if they will last the winter.  P talks to them  Confused .... looking for intelligent conversation again.