Garden And Gossip Forums
Aldi fruit plants and perennials/shrubs - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Bargain basement (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Aldi fruit plants and perennials/shrubs (/showthread.php?tid=543)

Pages: 1 2

Aldi fruit plants and perennials/shrubs - doublyjonah - 16-09-2020

If, like me, you cannot resist cheap little plants (whether at the budget grocery store or the garden centre bargain table), you may be interested to know that Aldi has plants in at the moment.

Fruits: Summer and autumn raspberries (Autumn bliss, but can't remember the summer), blackberry, redcurrant, gojiberry, tayberry, loganberry, green and red gooseberries, and probably a few more.

Euonymus, clematis, calla lilies, and several other varieties.

RE: Aldi fruit plants and perennials/shrubs - Vinny - 16-09-2020

That's good. Off to Aldi shopping tomorrow. Rolleyes

RE: Aldi fruit plants and perennials/shrubs - toomanytommytoes - 17-09-2020

Also blackcurrant and blueberry. I'll go have a look tomorrow and report back with variety names.

They've also got evergreen shrubs in...Red/Yellow/Orange Pyracantha, Holly, Viburnum tinus, Photinia, Ceanothus, Escallonia and some others I can't remember.

Allium bulbs too.

RE: Aldi fruit plants and perennials/shrubs - doublyjonah - 17-09-2020

We don't seem to have had the full selection at our store. I forgot to say, my tayberry is Medana.

RE: Aldi fruit plants and perennials/shrubs - toomanytommytoes - 17-09-2020

(17-09-2020, 07:39 AM)doublyjonah Wrote: We don't seem to have had the full selection at our store. I forgot to say, my tayberry is Medana.

Same at mine. Think it's potluck what they get in stock and their shelf management isn't the best (which isn't surprising since the staff are run ragged).

Redcurrant - Jonkheer Van Tets
Blackcurrant - Titania
Summer Raspberry - Tulameen
Blackberry - Thornfree
Gooseberry - Hinnomaki Red & Green

No blueberry or fig that I could see. The varieties seem to be the same as last year, so the blueberry is probably Bluecrop.

The selection of allium bulbs is pretty good - Ambassador, Violet Beauty, Mount Everest, Purple Sensation, Purple Rain, cristophii, sphaerocephalon, giganteum, atropurpureum, nigrum, rosenbachianum. £2.99 per bag

RE: Aldi fruit plants and perennials/shrubs - Vinny - 17-09-2020

Bought an Autumn fruiting raspberry for £1.79. I need a row of them but that would work out too expensive. I will probably scrounge the rest of the row off a benevolent plot holder, if I can find one.

RE: Aldi fruit plants and perennials/shrubs - JJB - 17-09-2020

I managed to get a tay berry medana, just what I wanted. Thanks for the heads up DJ.

RE: Aldi fruit plants and perennials/shrubs - Mark_Riga - 17-09-2020

Called in today and got a tayberry and a loganberry. I've not been in Aldi since... but passed one that was decidedly unbusy in Chester. I bought a tayberry in a pound shop about 5 years ago. The taste was good but the berries were only very small so dug it up for compost earlier this year. Hopefully the berries on these will be as big as in the pictures.

RE: Aldi fruit plants and perennials/shrubs - Vinny - 15-09-2021

Can't believe its been a year since the last post on here. Cry Just got Aldi's little booklet and from tomorrow (Thursday 16th September) the fruit plants on offer at £1.79 are:-

Blackcurrant
Green Gooseberry
Red Gooseberry
Blueberry
Summer Raspberry
Autumn Raspberry
Blackberry
Tayberry
Redcurrant
Loganberry

I think that's a really good selection so I will be there first thing in the morning as if you leave it any longer the plants will be dried out. Sick

Aldi don't tend to water their plants so you do need to get in quick to get what you want and get a live plant, not a dried out stick. Rolleyes Big Grin

RE: Aldi fruit plants and perennials/shrubs - SarrissUK - 15-09-2021

Ooh I might just have to go and have a gander! Thank you Smile