Garden And Gossip Forums
Planting out Rhubarb & Asparagus - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Veggie (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Planting out Rhubarb & Asparagus (/showthread.php?tid=538)

Pages: 1 2

Planting out Rhubarb & Asparagus - Broadway - 14-09-2020

Afternoon folks

Earlier in the year I sowed asparagus and rhubarb from seed and both seem to be doing well.

The question I have is should I leave them in their pots until next year or plant out in beds now?

TIA

RE: Planting out Rhubarb & Asparagus - Jimny14 - 14-09-2020

Hhmmm, are they outside now?

RE: Planting out Rhubarb & Asparagus - Veggie - 14-09-2020

What size are they? A photo would help.

RE: Planting out Rhubarb & Asparagus - Broadway - 14-09-2020

They are outside will get a photo tomorrow Smile

RE: Planting out Rhubarb & Asparagus - Broadway - 15-09-2020

As requestedSmile
[attachment=1253]
[attachment=1254]

RE: Planting out Rhubarb & Asparagus - Veggie - 15-09-2020

You sure that's Rhubarb?
Looks like comfrey to me.

(15-09-2020, 09:46 AM)Veggie Wrote: You sure that's Rhubarb?
Looks like comfrey to me.
Good job you know what you're talking about Veggie SmileSmileSmile
[attachment=1256]

Can the comfrey go out as well?

You were testing me, Danny - to spot the deliberate mistake.
Here's my very general answer for every young plant that I plant out - will I be able to weed around it or will it be lost because its small.
If you have a nice clear bed, then you're probably OK, and, though it goes against my principles, if they're planted in rows you'll have some idea where they were when they die back over winter.

With the comfrey, if you've grown it from seed it'll spread and be invasive so make sure you plant it where it won't get in the way of anything else when it does. It has deep roots that aren't easy to dig up.
If its Bocking14 Comfrey grown from cuttings, it doesn't spread. Still has deep roots though!

(15-09-2020, 10:03 AM)Veggie Wrote: You were testing me, Danny - to spot the deliberate mistake.
Here's my very general answer for every young plant that I plant out - will I be able to weed around it or will it be lost because its small.
If you have a nice clear bed, then you're probably OK, and, though it goes against my principles, if they're planted in rows you'll have some idea where they were when they die back over winter.

With the comfrey, if you've grown it from seed it'll spread and be invasive so make sure you plant it where it won't get in the way of anything else when it does. It has deep roots that aren't easy to dig up.
If its Bocking14 Comfrey grown from cuttings, it doesn't spread. Still has deep roots though!
Well you obviously passed VeggieSmile

Yes the beds are clear apart from a few weeds, will weed again and probably plant the rhubarb and comfrey next week.

I've just had a thought! Given the asparagus will need another 2 - 3 years before harvesting is it a waste putting them in the ground now, should I wait another year or 2???

The comfrey is Bocking14 kindly donated by toomanytommytoesSmile

My success rate with asparagus is very poor - even with bought plants - so wait from something ho knows what they're talking about to come along.