Garden And Gossip Forums
The build - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The build (/showthread.php?tid=491)

RE: The build - Veggie - 25-09-2022

This is so exciting .Big Grin Bradan will soon be getting his winter coat!

RE: The build - Small chilli - 25-09-2022

Hopefully windows will be after that. Need to prod all the window companies for quotes again. We’ve still only had one quote in. We’d like a couple to compare.

RE: The build - Vinny - 25-09-2022

(25-09-2022, 06:47 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Hopefully windows will be after that. Need to prod all the window companies for quotes again. We’ve still only had one quote in. We’d like a couple to compare.
Do the planners put any restrictions on what type of windows you use SC (ie wood, UPVC,Double glazing, triple glazing etc?) Huh

RE: The build - Small chilli - 25-09-2022

(25-09-2022, 10:28 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(25-09-2022, 06:47 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Hopefully windows will be after that. Need to prod all the window companies for quotes again. We’ve still only had one quote in. We’d like a couple to compare.
Do the planners put any restrictions on what type of windows you use SC (ie wood, UPVC,Double glazing, triple glazing etc?) Huh
No they didn’t they just had to agree with what we chose. Only thing we have to do is a comply with a minimum U value for saps.

RE: The build - Vinny - 26-09-2022

(25-09-2022, 10:55 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
No they didn’t they just had to agree with what we chose. Only thing we have to do is a comply with a minimum U value for saps.
I've been down the U value route before with planners! Sick I had to prove that the U value of blocks I wanted to use,and had picked up cheaply, were within acceptable limits (They couldn't see anything else but thermalite).Luckily I proved they were ok after a fight with planners. Rolleyes

RE: The build - Small chilli - 26-09-2022

(26-09-2022, 10:50 AM)Vinny Wrote:
I've been down the U value route before with planners! Sick I had to prove that the U value of blocks I wanted to use,and had picked up cheaply, were within acceptable limits (They couldn't see anything else but thermalite).Luckily I proved they were ok after a fight with planners. Rolleyes
I have nothing nice to say about planners. So I’ll say nothing.

RE: The build - Scarlet - 26-09-2022

(26-09-2022, 12:41 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(26-09-2022, 10:50 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(25-09-2022, 06:47 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I have nothing nice to say about planners. So I’ll say nothing.
We had to get our stonework approved - the stone had to come from the house wall that we wete knocking through! So they had to board us up, to get the stone out - then the planners said they could take 90 days to approve the work!! Right in the middle of the project! Complain and then they get difficult;(

RE: The build - Small chilli - 02-10-2022

We’ve been working on the house all day. But not photo worthy. One of those jobs that needs doing but barely noticeable.
I cut the excess damp proof off the outside of the house and Bob followed putting the mortar all the way round. As his job was a little more time consuming. I collected some more rocks from the piles of sand that  got dug out of the foundations. After 12 months the rain has revealed lots of big stones that I couldn’t possibly leave  Big Grin abandoned on the newly created passing place. Really must spread the sand out at some point. I’ll probably find more big stones    Big Grin .

RE: The build - Small chilli - 12-10-2022

We finally got to the house to do some work. Just setting up , making a plan, evicting sheep from my tree area! When a car turned up. A man from building control come for a look round. I suddenly remembered something very important needed to be done at the top of the plot  Wink . Left them with Bob. They were very happy, and very helpful. Set our minds at ease a little over some stuff. 
Then we weren’t sure how to do the next bit. So we went to the cafe (our building template). Ended up staying for a free lunch   Cool . Finally got back to the house started putting are fire stop onto the gable end. Then the thing I’ve been dreading, actually happened. Scaffold board snap under Bob! He fell about 10ft. A very scary few seconds! And very very luckily he’s just a little bruised with a fat nose. Then we packed up for the rest of the day. 
On the whole it was a good day. Free food, happy building control, and Bob still with us. 

I aged a couple of years today, I think  Blush

RE: The build - Veggie - 12-10-2022

Bob must have eaten too much at the cafe - glad he's OK. All the rest of the day sounds great.