Garden And Gossip Forums
The build - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The build (/showthread.php?tid=491)

RE: The build - Veggie - 11-07-2022

If you think of it as a "tent" (no drainage, kitchen, minimal windows) that's what you have. You could live in it as you would a tent and, you wouldn't have to take it down and move it to another site. Smile

RE: The build - Small chilli - 11-07-2022

(11-07-2022, 10:39 AM)Veggie Wrote: If you think of it as a "tent" (no drainage, kitchen, minimal windows) that's what you have. You could live in it as you would a tent and, you wouldn't have to take it down and move it to another site. Smile
That’s a very expensive tent !  Big Grin

RE: The build - Veggie - 11-07-2022

.......and a lot of hard work to erect but.................it is livable in. If the worst happened and you had to move out of the cottage you have somewhere to live. Big Grin

No offence meant in likening your house to a tent - just trying to say that, it may be lacking lots of "essentials" but it could still be lived in...............think I'd better stop now before I dig myself an even bigger hole. Big Grin

RE: The build - Small chilli - 11-07-2022

(11-07-2022, 11:17 AM)Veggie Wrote: .......and a lot of hard work to erect but.................it is livable in. If the worst happened and you had to move out of the cottage you have somewhere to live. Big Grin

No offence meant in likening your house to a tent - just trying to say that, it may be lacking lots of "essentials" but it could still be lived in...............think I'd better stop now before I dig myself an even bigger hole. Big Grin
No offence taken    Big Grin . We may yet have to go down the caravan on site route. Which to be honest I wouldn’t mind ( at the moment, ask me again after I’ve been doing it for 6 months    Wink ) because it would focus the mind to get the job done. Although you are quite right in your tent analogy. We’re not actually legally allowed to live in it until it gets to a certain standard. Which I believe included wind & water tight, electric, 1 working toilet and 1 working sink.

RE: The build - PyreneesPlot - 12-07-2022

Don't fret about everything inside - that can be done bit by bit. We still have one room without the skirting fitted, twelve years on.
We fitted a bathroom (well, loo) first, then put some walls around it  Big Grin and expanded out from there, one room at a time. But then we were living in the place too. Having said that, I would never fit out a house while living in it ever again!

RE: The build - Small chilli - 12-07-2022

We will definitely be in it before it’s finished.
We were hoping to get to a stage where we could get our certificate of habitation. But with all these price increases were not sure we can get to wind & water tight before the money has run out. I lie, we know we can’t.

When we started this we were working on £1500 per square meter. Probably reduced that to £1200 as we were doing most of it ourselves. That was doable. Prices now for a very basic build ( which ours is ) £2500 per square meter. Obviously we’re far to far in to stop. But we are also well and truly ****ed.

On the bright side. It’s ours, we have no mortgage, and it will get done eventually! The garden will be very well established by time the house is finished ( I really wish I was joking) .

RE: The build - Vinny - 12-07-2022

I remember taking the staircase out of one of the houses we had and until we got a new one made and fitted we had to use a ladder. Sick After about  6 months going up and down a ladder to the bathroom and bedrooms Helen was threatening divorce if I didn't get the stairs sorted! Big Grin

RE: The build - Small chilli - 14-07-2022

A bit more baton gone up today. Porch & started the front of the main bit.

[attachment=5060]

I’m enjoying putting up the baton because I get to play with the cool toy. The view of my office today  Big Grin .

[attachment=5061]

RE: The build - Veggie - 14-07-2022

Chop saw??

RE: The build - Small chilli - 14-07-2022

Close  Smile . Mitre saw. 
Bobs on the roof measuring. I cut and pass them up to him. So he can nail into place. Apparently my method of spinning the smaller lengths of wood end over end wasn’t helpful and looked more like a deliberate attempt to knock him off the roof  Big Grin .
A girl can’t have any fun  Rolleyes  Wink .