Garden And Gossip Forums
The build - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The build (/showthread.php?tid=491)

RE: The build - Small chilli - 19-06-2022

Spent the weekend putting up some of our scaffolding.

[attachment=4950] [attachment=4951] [attachment=4952] [attachment=4953]

RE: The build - Veggie - 19-06-2022

What comes next, SC? The roof or the cladding?

RE: The build - Small chilli - 19-06-2022

Batons on the roof & walls. Then tin on roof or cladding. Doesn’t really matter which order. But we have the cladding already.

We’ve measured the roof, so now we can work out how many sheets of tin we need.

RE: The build - Can the Man - 20-06-2022

SC do you mind me asking why a tin roof as opposed to slate or tile ?, was it financially driven ?, or was it technical support from the timber house ? Or some other reason ?, looking forward to hearing from you.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 20-06-2022

(20-06-2022, 12:28 AM)Can the Man Wrote: SC do you mind me asking why a tin roof as opposed to slate or tile ?, was it financially driven ?, or was it technical support from the timber house ? Or some other reason ?, looking forward to hearing from you.
2 reasons for a tin roof. Tin roofs are traditional on the island. There is lots of them around. Quite a few of them are red ones. We are NOT having a red roof  Big Grin . We’ll be having corrugated tin not the box profile tin. It’ll be anthracite grey. Secondly and most importantly we can do it ourselves.

This is the house next door to our site. It also happens to be one of the holiday homes I clean . Our roof will look very similar to this. Same colour and with solar panels ( 8 electric generating not the hot water like these 2 ). And while we’re here our house will look like the porch with the wood cladding and our porch will probably be rendered like the rest of this little cottage ( haven’t decided on texture or colour yet, this is a budget saving exercise and a change to our plan ).
[attachment=4957]

RE: The build - Jay - 20-06-2022

Looks great SC but excuse my ignorance…is it noisy when it rains? Smile

(20-06-2022, 08:13 AM)Jay Wrote: Looks great SC but excuse my ignorance…is it noisy when it rains? Smile
No Jay it’s not noisy    Smile . There’s many many layers of other things between the tin and us  Smile

RE: The build - JJB - 20-06-2022

SC as the cladding is vertically butt jointed rather than feathered like horizontal like larch lap, do you have to caulk the joints to make it weatherproof?

(20-06-2022, 09:18 AM)JJB Wrote: SC  as the cladding is vertically butt jointed rather than feathered like horizontal like larch lap, do you have to caulk the joints to make it weatherproof?

No need to do anything to the cladding. It’ll just naturally silver over time. 
It’s not butt jointed. it goes up like this

[attachment=4959]

RE: The build - Veggie - 20-06-2022

We're learning so much from your Build, SC. Its fascinating, Thank you. Big Grin