Garden And Gossip Forums
The build - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The build (/showthread.php?tid=491)

RE: The build - Veggie - 05-09-2021

They all sound like whisky brands to me!

RE: The build - Small chilli - 05-09-2021

Today we have 2 windows now.

[attachment=3787]

View from our bedroom window

[attachment=3788]

With it being a Sunday we didn’t start the generator until 10 am because we’re very aware holidaymakers one side. And we didn’t work on late because we went to see friends who are also building. We’re using their build as a physical how to guide    Big Grin . They’re having professional builders do theirs and they’re a bit farther ahead than us. So it’s very handy.

When we got back this evening we had a phone call from the owner of the holiday cottage. One of the cottages I clean as it happens  Wink . So obviously we know her very well as it’s a small village and I work with her every Saturday morning. She informed us the the tenants have complained about the build noise. Luckily she is behind us 100% and was just telling us of the situation. Apparently she advised them to contact the letting agent to see if there are any other properties available   Big Grin . There aren’t, the island is ridiculously busy at the moment.  
We were waiting for someone to start whining and it’s happened Angry . We’ll be starting the generator at 8.30 tomorrow morning. Because oddly enough we’re approaching this as a real job and doing full days work. Also the house kit is considerably more vulnerable partly constructed. So we’ve got to get of with it. 
So Mr grumpy tourists can just …………..  Wink

RE: The build - Veggie - 05-09-2021

Invite the Grump's over to see what you're doing - offer them a broken biscuit and let them see how real people who can't afford holidays and build their homes by hand live.
I bet they live in a soul-less modern development with handkerchief size gardens where everyone works 9-5 and dresses identically.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 05-09-2021

(05-09-2021, 10:21 PM)Veggie Wrote: Invite the Grump's over to see what you're doing - offer them a broken biscuit and let them see how real people who can't afford holidays and build their homes by hand live.
I bet they live in a soul-less modern development with handkerchief size gardens where everyone works 9-5 and dresses identically.
Everyone else that has stayed next door has been very interested. They’ve Come round to see what & how we’re doing things. Bob is 100% a people person and will chat for hours to anyone. Me not so much  Wink . We smile & wave to every that drive past especially the ones that slow down for a look. Mr grumpy tourists slowed down as he passed, there was no smiles or waves from him as he curb crawled passed. Apparently he’s a copper , explains a lot  Rolleyes .

RE: The build - Bren - 05-09-2021

Just because they’re on holiday it doesn’t mean everyone has to tip toe around they’ve chosen to stay on an island amongst people who are carrying on with their everyday lives.

RE: The build - Admin - 06-09-2021

(05-09-2021, 07:32 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(05-09-2021, 04:03 PM)Admin Wrote: ar dachaigh
gleann bòidheach
Bothan fraoch
bruadar
ar caisteal
Translation please  Huh  Definitely can’t be Fraoch that’s next door   Smile .
Our home
Beautiful Glen
Heather Cottage
Dream
Our Castle

RE: The build - Vinny - 06-09-2021

One of the things I wondered about was susceptibility to wind or rain during the build? I notice you have got some of the 'angles' constructed which should help a lot if its windy, but do you have to rush out with tarps to protect walls if it rains a lot? 

Loving the updates btw! Cool

RE: The build - Small chilli - 06-09-2021

(06-09-2021, 05:31 AM)Vinny Wrote: One of the things I wondered about was susceptibility to wind or rain during the build? I notice you have got some of the 'angles' constructed which should help a lot if its windy, but do you have to rush out with tarps to protect walls if it rains a lot? 

Loving the updates btw! Cool
We deliberately went with this companies house kit because someone else on the island brought one but didn’t put it up for 18 months  Huh . Just left it sat on site no protection over it other than the cling film wrapping it comes in. It’s up now and looks good to our untrained eye. Obviously in a perfect world it would go up in the dry. We’ve been very lucky yesterday was the first rain we’ve had since we’ve started on the kit. It should be ok as long as we try to keep the insulation part of the panels dry as possible. So as soon as a panel goes up we’ll be putting a temporary packer in it until we can get the top plate on the whole section of wall we’re working on. You’re right we put some angles / returns up as soon as we could to help protect from the wind . We’ve also put some temporary braces across the corners to help with stability if it gets breezy . We’ve been very lucky with that as well. We’ve had some incredibly settled weather up to now.
Think we’re in for a showery week. If it rains to much we’ll have to pump out the house because what we have actually created is a pond , until we get a roof on  Smile .

(05-09-2021, 11:52 PM)Bren Wrote: Just because they’re on holiday it doesn’t mean everyone has to tip toe around they’ve chosen to stay on an island amongst people who are carrying on with their everyday lives.
Exactly how we feel Bren. Apparently when we started digging the big hole back in March. Some of the tenants wanted to book the property again for next year but wanted to know what was being built next door first.  Rolleyes . I believe they were jokingly told a brothel  Big Grin . It’s also been discredited as a distribution warehouse for Amazon    Big Grin .

Going back to the house name briefly. We’re considering bradan . Which is salmon. Easy to say & spell and quick appropriate as we nearly brought the salmon fishing rites to the site  Big Grin .
What do you think? 
Also bradan house or bradan cottage?