Garden And Gossip Forums
The build - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The build (/showthread.php?tid=491)

RE: The build - Mikey - 02-05-2021

(01-05-2021, 09:06 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 07:22 PM)Vinny Wrote: Whilst watching Grand Designs I don't think I have ever seen a house build that went smoothly. They always seem to run out of money or hit problems similar to yours. It is a very stressful process methinks.

Apologies for stating the obvious SC as I honestly have a lot of empathy for your situation and hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.
Me & Bob always try to guess which of the big 3 each grand designs are going to do each episode.
1, over budget 
2, takes longer than planned 
3, she gets pregnant halfway through the build.

so often it’s all 3   Big Grin  .

Before anyone asks 1&2 very likely, 3 not a cat in he11s chance  Tongue
A lot of very famous landmarks fit the first two, so you’d be in good company. I’m sure I read somewhere that the Sydney opera house was said to look like a terrapin orgy in one objection. Big Grin

RE: The build - Small chilli - 02-05-2021

(02-05-2021, 06:09 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 03:47 PM)Veggie Wrote: Big IF, I know, and I don't expect you to know the answer, but, instead of digging down further (if you have too) could you raise the platform up by 75cms?
Generally not an option as your planning application will have an elevation drawing showing lie of the land and the house located in it. I’ve seen roofs removed that have exceeded height. Grumpy neighbours and general busybodies love nothing more than to find an error in your construction to beat you with. Sad
Very true on all counts. We don’t want to upset (most) people in the village. Especially as a lot of them are the reason we’re able to build at all. Selling us the land in the first place very very cheaply. We also realise it’s a big change in the village as it’s the first house to be built for over 65 years! There have been complete renovations (3 I think ) and extensions but no new builds.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 18-05-2021

Just paid the deposit on the house kit ! 
The company has been good let us know that the cost of the kits are going up by 6% . But if we’d payed our deposit before the end of the month we wouldn’t be charged the increase. 
Oddly enough we thought paying the deposit sooner and avoiding an extra  6% on all those zeros was a good idea. If slightly terrifying!

RE: The build - JJB - 18-05-2021

The point of no return, but it must make it more real.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 18-05-2021

(18-05-2021, 10:49 AM)JJB Wrote: The point of no return, but it must make it more real.
Oh we are so past the point of no return! It’s terrifying    Big Grin .  I’ll be honest it’s still not really feeling real. Even though there is now physical evidence (big hole/ lot of gravel). I’m still struggling with the fact this thing is actually happening. It’s all very odd. Hoping it’ll get real when we actually start doing the work ourselves. Rather than watching and talking to people. Which will be when we start labouring for the foundations guy. That is if we ever get our drawings redone and can persuade our ground works guy to come back!

RE: The build - Vinny - 26-05-2021

SC, I spotted this on the BBC news website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57247757

This has actually affected me with my small project where I have had to go between Jewson's,JT Doves and B&Q to get sand, gravel and cement as none of them stock all of the basics. I have to get sand at Doves,cement at B&Q and gravel at Jewson's.

I hope this doesn't affect you too much.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 26-05-2021

Yeah,  I don’t need reminding! Everything has gone up. Timber has gone up 20% . I really don’t want to think about everything else!  Dodgy

We’ll be lucky if we get it to wind & water tight before the money runs out. Especially with all the additional cock ups by other parties.

RE: The build - Scarlet - 26-05-2021

(26-05-2021, 07:34 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Yeah,  I don’t need reminding! Everything has gone up. Timber has gone up 20% . I really don’t want to think about everything else!  Dodgy

We’ll be lucky if we get it to wind & water tight before the money runs out. Especially with all the additional cock ups by other parties.
We have felt the same doing the kitchen - every build material has gone through the roof. We passed the budget a long time ago Sad

RE: The build - Mark_Riga - 26-05-2021

A lot of raw materials are being affected, this in an email from Northern Polytunnels who I bought one off:

"Whilst we endeavour to manage the current situation as best we can, unfortunately where we have no alternative but to pass on some of the cost increases, we will reluctantly have to do so. The commodities most affected are steel, polythene, PVC and netting."

Not sure what other materials they would use.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 27-05-2021

(26-05-2021, 10:21 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: A lot of raw materials are being affected, this in an email from Northern Polytunnels who I bought one off:

"Whilst we endeavour to manage the current situation as best we can, unfortunately where we have no alternative but to pass on some of the cost increases, we will reluctantly have to do so. The commodities most affected are steel, polythene, PVC and netting."

Not sure what other materials they would use.
Steel probably