Garden And Gossip Forums
The build - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The build (/showthread.php?tid=491)

RE: The build - Veggie - 27-04-2021

You can never have enough foundation!! Better safe than sorry.

My little old cottage down west, built on the side of a cliff, was single storey and I, in my wisdom, thought it would be nice to extend upwards to enlarge it. Planning permission was OK but when they came to build there were no foundations whatsoever. The builders had to literally tunnel under the front of the cottage, wriggle under the walls and reinforce the footings. Then they had to build a ring beam on top of the walls to support the upper floor.
It was not one of my better ideas - a financial nightmare!! The builders said it would have been cheaper to knock the house down and build a new one, than tinker about with the old one. At least you'll know exactly what you have from the outset.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 27-04-2021

Quite agree, it may seem over the top but better do it properly first time round  Smile . They always say the foundations is the unknown element of the build because you never know what you’re going to find . 
This part of the build is costing more & taking longer than expected   Rolleyes . 
Our guesstimate of the gravel we’d need wasn’t even close!! We’re looking at about 1000 ton by time we’ve finished!!
And it’s taking a lot longer because the quarry only has 2 drivers for all the jobs on the island. We’ve not had any gravel deliveries yet this week  Confused .

You sound like you had fun with your extension! It’s all quite scary isn’t it!

RE: The build - Admin - 28-04-2021

looks like a very hefty foundation SC

RE: The build - Small chilli - 29-04-2021

It’s all turning to ****! It may be time to get the linch mob back together  Angry  Angry  Angry .
Bob posted some photos of our metal work on fb , because it’s not just you lot getting bombarded with build photos  Wink .
Someone got in contact with Bob saying it didn’t look right. Initially we just thought you cheeky **** ! Turns out after Bob having a very long chat. We’ve been working off the wrong drawings ! 1 , we don’t know any better. 2, that’s all we were sent Angry . What we’ve been working off is frankly considered to be a little doodle to get a building warrant and not even ****ing close to being detailed enough to build off it! 
If we’d continued as we were apparently our foundations would have cracked in several different places and for different reasons!!
So luckily we’re dealing with an incompetent quarry Rolleyes  ( who knew that was a silver lining  Dodgy  ) otherwise we might have poured concrete over poorly constructed and wrong size & configuration of metal work! So now Bob is trying to get hold of MD of the engineering firm to find out where the drawings we actually need are! 
If they haven’t done them and try and wriggle out of it and we get the drawings done by someone else . It could take 3 weeks.
I don’t even want to think about the potential money we may or may not have wasted!!!

RE: The build - Broadway - 29-04-2021

Sorry to hear that SC, I suppose good that you;'ve found out now, sorry if that doesn't helpSad

RE: The build - Veggie - 29-04-2021

What a bummer! Maybe you should threaten the MD with enclosure in your metal cage and being buried in the foundations.Wink

RE: The build - JJB - 29-04-2021

So sorry to hear your woes SC. I can't imagine the stress you're going through, but I can imagine the anger and expletives. I thought I'd never say it, but thank goodness for Facebook.

RE: The build - Vinny - 29-04-2021

I've liked your post but am not liking whats happened to you. I would be bladdy mad as well. Angry

RE: The build - Small chilli - 29-04-2021

(29-04-2021, 02:27 PM)JJB Wrote: So sorry to hear your woes SC.  I can't imagine the stress you're going through, but I can imagine the anger and expletives.  I thought I'd never say it, but thank goodness for Facebook.
I couldn’t agree more and like you it comes as a massive surprise to be thankful for fb! The thing that is ( please fill in a string of expletives of your choosing) me is we’ve paid for the plans/ drawings & advice. It’s been like getting blood out of a stone and the stone has been considerably more cooperative than these ****! 

veggie will now understand why I chose Terry Pratchett   Wink . You couldn’t make this stuff up !

RE: The build - JJB - 29-04-2021

Absolutely love Terry Pratchett - I've read them all.

“Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one. But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”

So true