Garden And Gossip Forums
The build - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The build (/showthread.php?tid=491)

RE: The build - Vinny - 29-11-2023

(28-11-2023, 09:03 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(28-11-2023, 07:44 PM)JJB Wrote: P asks what sort of heat source you've chosen, a gas/leccy boiler, air/ground  source heat pump?
Under floor heating will be hot water heated by electric ( mains / solar combo ). MVHR ( mechanical ventilation heat recovery) and possibly/ probably an  air source heat pump.
Flippin eck I have no idea how that lot would work together? (Says he sitting huddled round a basic wood burner) Rolleyes It makes you realise how far technology  has moved on from the coal burning era I was brought up in.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 10:41 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(28-11-2023, 09:03 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(28-11-2023, 07:44 PM)JJB Wrote: P asks what sort of heat source you've chosen, a gas/leccy boiler, air/ground  source heat pump?
Under floor heating will be hot water heated by electric ( mains / solar combo ). MVHR ( mechanical ventilation heat recovery) and possibly/ probably an  air source heat pump.
Flippin eck I have no idea how that lot would work together? (Says he sitting huddled round a basic wood burner) Rolleyes It makes you realise how far technology  has moved on from the coal burning era I was brought up in.
The MVHR isn’t really heating as such. It just extracts the heat from the air it sucks out of the house and mixes it with the fresh air it blows into the house. So you’re not losing heat and not getting blasted with cold air. Don’t ask how, not got a clue. Air source heat pump again not really sure how it works. I’ve only had experience of one of the very first models and it was cr@p and it didn’t help that the owner wasn’t using it correctly. So I wasn’t convinced about having one. Apparently they’re much more efficient now and especially if used correctly (not turning on & off like a little electric fire). all clear as mud  Big Grin .

RE: The build - Small chilli - 29-11-2023

Today more of the same. Bathroom now has insulation on the floor. Kitchen dinner and utility now emptied out and first sheet of radon barrier is roughly in place ready for tomorrow.

[attachment=7246]

RE: The build - Small chilli - 30-11-2023

Finished putting the radon barrier down.

[attachment=7247] [attachment=7248]

If I never see another roll of that tape, I’ll be very happy. It took so much effort to get it off the roll. If it wasn’t such a fight, I’d of been finished a lot quicker. 

Most of the insulation is down. Need to do a bit of juggling and cutting tomorrow. Then we need Bob to go get the rest of the insulation we need for the walls and the last 3 sheets for the floor. 

Was lone builder again today. Bob was helping build a shed for the local bee association. Obviously I had help from skew & breeze. Breeze refused to come and help again after lunch. A morning getting cold & board was enough for him. He does that regularly    Big Grin .  Skew always comes to help ( get in the way ). He’s now very happy with the new house now because he’s got his window seat.

[attachment=7249] he was enjoying watching the world go by until it got dark. Still sat up to have a look if he heard a vehicle coming.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 01-12-2023

Cut all the bits of insulation for the utility room that we have. Ready for when the other stuff is collected.
Also been cutting small pieces to fill in gaps and taping where needed.
Put down first bit of the next barrier/ plastic in the porch.

[attachment=7250]

RE: The build - Small chilli - 17-12-2023

Not done an update for a while. All the floor insulation is now down. Most of the vaper barrier is down. Lot of the 1” wall insulation is up.

Very difficult to straighten the vaper barrier (plastic) with a Labrador on it  Big Grin 
[attachment=7266]

Wall insulation going up. It’s only going on the inside of external walls 
[attachment=7267] [attachment=7268] [attachment=7269]

The porch has insulation on the ceiling as well. As the ceiling in there (and the living room) is actually the roof. So like the attic space 2” insulation on it. You can just about make out the ceiling. Really difficult room to photograph.
[attachment=7270]

While this has been getting done, lots of planning and working out & ordering has been getting done as well.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 02-01-2024

All the insulation is done. Now started on the airtight membrane and tape.

[attachment=7290] [attachment=7291] [attachment=7292]

RE: The build - Small chilli - 07-01-2024

Today we went shopping sort of.
Someone Bob knows is upgrading lots of things in his holiday home. So we’ve put our names of one of the kitchen units and some of the flooring that are coming out. Just have to help lift the floor. And he brought an ex display kitchen to go in and he was selling the taps & sink. We didn’t want the sink. Even though it was very nice. It wasn’t quite for us. The taps however. We weren’t coming home without them. Very nice and a bargain. Definitely couldn’t afford new.
This is them
https://www.the1810company.co.uk/product/henry-holt-twin-lever/

RE: The build - Veggie - 07-01-2024

How much.............for a pair of taps!! Wow! Look nice though.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 07-01-2024

(07-01-2024, 06:54 PM)Veggie Wrote: How much.............for a pair of taps!! Wow! Look nice though.
Yes exactly! Outrageous price. The sink we turned down was about £600 new!