Garden And Gossip Forums
The build - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The build (/showthread.php?tid=491)

RE: The build - Small chilli - 23-11-2023

(23-11-2023, 10:25 AM)JJB Wrote: Your porch is really impressive, not what we were expecting, that stonework is lovely. How did you do it?

[attachment=7228] This is a full box of stone ( I didn’t take photos of individual panel for some reason) 
So all the stones were kinda z shaped. 2 big and 2 small to a box. The panels are made up of real stone backing is a plastic mesh and metal strip all stuck together with cement/adhesive. The metal strip is so over a certain hight they have to be screwed to the wall as well. 
we went with the belt & braces approach and screwed them all into place as well as the cement/ adhesive that they went onto the wall with. 

[attachment=7226] [attachment=7227]

Lots of cutting of stone for the window & door returns. Also the ends of the walls. Because obviously we didn’t design the porch to perfectly fit the panels  Rolleyes . Then you just put it up like a big jigsaw and try to make sure the z shape isn’t to obvious. 

Second time I wrote this post. The whole thing disappeared when I added the last photo! That turned the air blue.

RE: The build - JJB - 23-11-2023

Ooh that looks complicated but not half as much as I thought, I imagined you doing a jigsaw with every small block, like with paviors. The end result is superb, it really sets off the house. What's the next job?

RE: The build - JJB - 23-11-2023

PS P sympathises with you about losing text. He routinely swears and throws his tablet because the tech won't do what it's told. It's like a 2 Yr old having a tantrum and I tell him so. Also that if he throws things at me, he's out the door! I just hope he doesn't get dementia - for all sorts of reasons Big Grin

RE: The build - Mark_Riga - 23-11-2023

Will you be in for Christmas? I've just looked at the first entry in this thread and it was over 3 years ago! It is looking good but you won't likely spend a lot of time looking at it, particularly when you are inside.

(23-11-2023, 02:53 PM)JJB Wrote: Ooh that looks complicated  but not half as much as I thought, I imagined you doing a jigsaw with every small block, like with paviors.  The end result is superb, it really sets off the house. What's the next job?
Next job has been started on today. Which is radon barrier then floor insulation. Then under floor heating.

(23-11-2023, 03:34 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Will you be in for Christmas? I've just looked at the first entry in this thread and it was over 3 years ago! It is looking good but you won't likely spend a lot of time looking at it, particularly when you are inside.
I will quote Bob  Rolleyes . Yes we’ll be in for Christmas, don’t know which one  Rolleyes . (Frankly if I hear him say that once more, I will stab him ! ) 

yeah it’s taking a long time. Its just us 2 novices doing 98% of the work and we have to keep stopping. To earn more money for it.

It’s been quite a good day. We’ve worked out how much more insulation we need for the walls. Put the little bit of 2” insulation we had left from the attic up on the living room ceiling. Finally finished cleaning all our belongings into attic and caravans. Cleared the 2 bedrooms. Started laying the radon barrier.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 24-11-2023

We finished the pointing on the porch. Give it a couple of days to go off properly. Then we’ll clean all the stone work. A bit of a mile stone today as well, because we’ve started doing work inside  Big Grin . 

Finished put the radon barrier down in the 2 bedrooms. And almost finished putting the insulation down.

[attachment=7231] [attachment=7232] 

We stop with just one board to go. As we suddenly realised. We didn’t know if we needed to stagger the boards. 
Turns out we do. So tomorrow we’ll do a bit of board juggling. Then start on the hallway.

RE: The build - JJB - 25-11-2023

All exciting SC, inside work at last.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 25-11-2023

Hallway floor done.

Radon barrier. Just more flipping plastic! 

[attachment=7233]

Insulation 

[attachment=7234]

Cleared the porch ready. As it was a nice day we went and collected all the insulation we had in a friend’s shed at the end of the road.