Garden And Gossip Forums
The build - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The build (/showthread.php?tid=491)

RE: The build - Small chilli - 09-10-2023

Things are getting so close to starting doing things again. There’s been a long delay on the delivery of the stuff we ordered. But it arrives on Thursday. And I ordered my shower tray yesterday. We’ll collect that when we go to my friends wedding at the end of the month. Because delivery of shower tray to her house is £20. Delivery of shower tray to here £175. That’s more than the actual shower tray!!
I’m so ready to start again.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 12-10-2023

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry The order that we placed weeks ago(26th September). Was supposed to be delivered today. We knew it was going to be this longer delay. They did explain that they were busy and having the delivery lorry serviced. Fair enough. These things happen. 
Then last week we got a phone call asking if we were desperate for the delivery? (no we order stuff just for fun!) Oddly enough we said yes we would actually like the order delivered when they said they’re going to. The conversation went on and Bob arrange to drive 7 miles to the end of our road and meet the lorry and collect the delivery from there. So the driver didn’t have to do an extra 14 miles just for one relatively small, but heavy delivery. The driver was going to phone Bob from the boat.
 Bob got up early this morning in case the lorry was on the first boat. Bob has just phoned the supplier as boat number 3 of the morning should be docking round about now and still no phone call from the driver. Our order isn’t on the lorry ! They said it’ll be next week . Bob had a sense of humour loss at that point. Because next week isn’t the next time the lorry is over here. It’s over 2 or 3 times a week. I’m less than happy. Yet again our build is being held up by incompetents .

RE: The build - JJB - 14-10-2023

(12-10-2023, 09:07 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry The order that we placed weeks ago(26th September). Was supposed to be delivered today. We knew it was going to be this longer delay. They did explain that they were busy and having the delivery lorry serviced. Fair enough. These things happen. 
Then last week we got a phone call asking if we were desperate for the delivery? (no we order stuff just for fun!) Oddly enough we said yes we would actually like the order delivered when they said they’re going to. The conversation went on and Bob arrange to drive 7 miles to the end of our road and meet the lorry and collect the delivery from there. So the driver didn’t have to do an extra 14 miles just for one relatively small, but heavy delivery. The driver was going to phone Bob from the boat.
 Bob got up early this morning in case the lorry was on the first boat. Bob has just phoned the supplier as boat number 3 of the morning should be docking round about now and still no phone call from the driver. Our order isn’t on the lorry ! They said it’ll be next week . Bob had a sense of humour loss at that point. Because next week isn’t the next time the lorry is over here. It’s over 2 or 3 times a week. I’m less than happy. Yet again our build is being held up by incompetents .

SNAFU seems the overall situation in my experience these days. I don't know whether tradesmen have too much business or too much money that they can afford to be unresponsive to their customers.  Our solar packed up a while ago and eventually we got it fixed but needed £700 worth of scaffolding. All was well until it packed in again last week. Getting the bod to answer our phone calls or turn up is proving a nightmare. PS now he's going on holiday for a week. Upshot is we might actually have to pay for our leccy!  Cry I'm  hoping we don't need scaffolding again. Hope you get your delivery sooner than you expect SC.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 14-10-2023

(14-10-2023, 09:58 AM)JJB Wrote:
(12-10-2023, 09:07 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry The order that we placed weeks ago(26th September). Was supposed to be delivered today. We knew it was going to be this longer delay. They did explain that they were busy and having the delivery lorry serviced. Fair enough. These things happen. 

SNAFU seems the overall situation in my experience these days. I don't know whether tradesmen have too much business or too much money that they can afford to be unresponsive to their customers.  Our solar packed up a while ago and eventually we got it fixed but needed £700 worth of scaffolding. All was well until it packed in again last week. Getting the bod to answer our phone calls or turn up is proving a nightmare. PS now he's going on holiday for a week. Upshot is we might actually have to pay for our leccy!  Cry I'm  hoping we don't need scaffolding again. Hope you get your delivery sooner than you expect SC.
I can understand your frustration. Especially after your solar has just been fixed. I’d be steaming. And if it’s the same problem, I’d be questioning whether or not I’d be paying for them to come back. Or if they should be be doing the job they’ve already been paid to do. Good luck JJB. Hope it all works out for you. Our delivery is coming Tuesday via a local courier. At the suppliers expense. Well it better do!

RE: The build - Small chilli - 31-10-2023

We’ve done stuff  Big Grin . Started battening the porch.

[attachment=7198]

We also made a cement sloping ledge to help water run off away from the porch. As the porch building paper has been exposed to the elements for so long we put a new layer on top. Also made our slate window cill extension. But that may need a little more playing with. Hopefully get some more done tomorrow, but there’s supposed be be another storm coming through.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 02-11-2023

Finished battening the porch. Then Bob had to go do his weekly checks on holiday homes. So I was left to put the bigger fixings in and put the damp proof up where required.

This is a view I had a lot this afternoon.

[attachment=7210]

These are the bigger fixings. (most went in straight! Blush  Especially the ones that weren’t put in right handed) 

[attachment=7211]

It was very nearly dark when I left , so will finish off tomorrow.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 04-11-2023

A bit more done on the porch.
Insect mesh top & bottom. Fire stop around the top.

[attachment=7213]

Then started putting the cement board up. Luckily we only needed 2 whole sheets. Because they are very heavy. 

[attachment=7214]

Hopefully finished the boarding tomorrow. Then start on the tricky bit.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 05-11-2023

Finished putting the cement board up. Happy with how that went.

[attachment=7215]

That’s all you’re going to see of the porch progress until it’s finished. Mostly because I’m mean  Big Grin and because (as long as we do it correctly!) it’s going to look really good  Cool .

RE: The build - Admin - 05-11-2023

(05-11-2023, 06:10 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Finished putting the cement board up. Happy with how that went.

That’s all you’re going to see of the porch progress until it’s finished. Mostly because I’m mean  Big Grin and because (as long as we do it correctly!) it’s going to look really good  Cool .
I wonder if I can ban a moderator Big Grin

RE: The build - Small chilli - 07-11-2023

Here’s a little update. I learned a new skill  Big Grin .

[attachment=7216]