Garden And Gossip Forums
The build - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The build (/showthread.php?tid=491)

RE: The build - Small chilli - 01-09-2023

Thank you Mark & JJB. Your comments have just prompted Bob to go do a little more research on exactly which inverter has been specified. There’s no swearing so I’m guessing it’s all good. We haven’t actually paid yet so we could change bits of the order if needs be.

RE: The build - Bob - 01-09-2023

Hi all
Just a bit of techie stuff here (what little I understand)
We're getting a solaredge inverter which isn't EPS enabled, this saves quite a chunk of money on the original outlay. However if we want to install batteries in the future solaredge provide their homehub backup interface which effectively creates a EPS system and actually works out cheaper than buying a EPS inverter from the outset. The other advantage of this system is that the inverter is designed to work with optimisers which we will have on all panels to minimise the effects of mid winter shading, maximising winter production is essential this far north.
As far as batteries are concerned I still think they are too expensive for the savings they provide, the use of off peak electric to charge them certainly makes the numbers stack up better and the octopus agile tarrif is excellent however as far as I know octopus don't supply to the far reaches of these little islands, certainly not with their better tarrifs, most people who have installed a smart meter here have discovered they simply don't operate in these parts and I think that's a prerequisite for the agile tarrif.
I'm sure that in a few years all this will change, batteries are becoming cheaper and far more efficient, and who knows we may one day technology may extend to these far flung lands, we have after been able to use mobile telephonic devices in the village for several months now - it's almost like living in the late 20th century ?

RE: The build - Small chilli - 01-09-2023

^^^ exactly what I said 5 minutes ago. Just with fewer words and not quite so much explanation Big Grin  Wink 

He’s right about the phones, still scares the cr@p out of me when it rings    Big Grin . Not used to that  Big Grin .

RE: The build - JJB - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 08:41 AM)Bob Wrote: Hi all
We're getting a solaredge inverter which isn't EPS enabled, this saves quite a chunk of money on the original outlay. However if we want to install batteries in the future solaredge provide their homehub backup interface which effectively creates a EPS system and actually works out cheaper than buying a EPS inverter from the outset. The other advantage of this system is that the inverter is designed to work with optimisers which we will have on all panels to minimise the effects of mid winter shading, maximising winter production is essential this far north.
As far as batteries are concerned I still think they are too expensive for the savings they provide, the use of off peak electric to charge them certainly makes the numbers stack up better and the octopus agile tarrif is excellent however as far as I know octopus don't supply to the far reaches of these little islands, certainly not with their better tarrifs, most people who have installed a smart meter here have discovered they simply don't operate in these parts and I think that's a prerequisite for the agile tarrif.
I'm sure that in a few years all this will change, batteries are becoming cheaper and far more efficient, and who knows we may one day technology may extend to these far flung lands, we have after been able to use mobile telephonic devices in the village for several months now - it's almost like living in the late 20th century ?

P says he fully understands the constraints of your locality.  He also asked whether  your supplier is aware that there  is to be two strings of panels, one on the house and one on the garage?

RE: The build - Bob - 01-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 09:09 AM)JJB Wrote:

P says he fully understands the constraints of your locality.  He also asked whether  your supplier is aware that there  is to be two strings of panels, one on the house and one on the garage?
Yep, the whole system has been designed with his input from the start

RE: The build - JJB - 02-09-2023

(01-09-2023, 12:56 PM)Bob Wrote:
(01-09-2023, 09:09 AM)JJB Wrote:

Yep, the whole system has been designed with his input from the start
P says it sounds very exciting and will be interested to hear how you get on and what you finally decide upon.

RE: The build - Small chilli - 03-09-2023

Second caravan made it on to site today. We have decided to have one each for sleeping  Big Grin . Because in reality the 2 of us and 2 dog ( one of which is capable of taking up all available space    Rolleyes ) in a small double bed is not going to produce a good night’s sleep for anyone. Very impressed how well the outside of this one cleaned up. I didn’t actually take a photo when it’d be finished and put into its final place.

[attachment=7001]

This photo should be a caption competition  Big Grin  Big Grin .

From some angles on the road it now looks like we’ve got one really long caravan    Big Grin .

RE: The build - JJB - 03-09-2023

Who's elected to have the dogs?

RE: The build - Small chilli - 03-09-2023

(03-09-2023, 08:09 PM)JJB Wrote: Who's elected to have the dogs?
The dogs will decide where they will sleep. It could be one each. We could swap each night or one of us might get a bed to ourselves. We will have to wait and see.

RE: The build - Veggie - 03-09-2023

Maybe the dogs would like their own caravan and you and Bob can share a bed (or does he snore?)