Garden And Gossip Forums
Freezing courgettes - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Kitchen Talk (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: DIY Kitchen (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Freezing courgettes (/showthread.php?tid=323)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Freezing courgettes - JJB - 06-07-2020

Does anyone freeze courgettes?   I've tried and they've tasted horrid.  I don't mind them going mushy as they will go into soups, sauces, etc but how do you make them taste ok.

RE: Freezing courgettes - Small chilli - 07-07-2020

Only tried it once. Like you say they went mushy. Never done it again.

RE: Freezing courgettes - Bren - 07-07-2020

I've grated and froze them they're really only ok to add to soups or cakes.

RE: Freezing courgettes - Mark_Riga - 07-07-2020

We sometimes freeze them as part of a mix of cooked veg with something like onions and tomatoes.

RE: Freezing courgettes - SarrissUK - 07-07-2020

I grate them and bake a cake. Then. at times, I freeze the cake lol

On a more serious note, I found a bag of frozen, grated courgette in the freezer the other day that had fallen to the bottom. It has to have been there for years - I froze it with the intention of baking a cake with it at some point, but.... it's no surprise that didn't happen. I'm not good with frozen veg.

RE: Freezing courgettes - Veggie - 08-07-2020

I've stopped freezing Veg of all sorts unless its part of a cooked meal - like soup or stew. I've tried all ways to freeze beans and courgettes but they never taste "right" when defrosted and I end up throwing them away. Now, I eat them fresh, store where possible or give them away and don't even think about freezing them.
Raspberries, gooseberries and currants freeze OK; apples and rhubarb when cooked first- otherwise, I don't bother.

RE: Freezing courgettes - PyreneesPlot - 08-07-2020

Courgettes grated for cakes only, even cooked in things I find the texture pretty blurgh, apart from fritters, weirdly.
Beans (french) are fine, just tipped & tailed cut to length and bagged. But having said that, I rarely eat vegetables just boiled or steamed, they're always going to be going into a curry, stir fry or something with additional flavours!

RE: Freezing courgettes - Broadway - 22-07-2020

Has anyone tried freezing after spiralizing?

RE: Freezing courgettes - SarrissUK - 23-07-2020

(22-07-2020, 12:56 PM)Broadway Wrote: Has anyone tried freezing after spiralizing?

Nope - the texture of the courgette when defrosted would mean it's not usable as a pasta replacement anymore, which is the only reason I would spiralise it.

RE: Freezing courgettes - Broadway - 24-07-2020

(23-07-2020, 09:48 PM)SarrissUK Wrote:
(22-07-2020, 12:56 PM)Broadway Wrote: Has anyone tried freezing after spiralizing?

Nope - the texture of the courgette when defrosted would mean it's not usable as a pasta replacement anymore, which is the only reason I would spiralise it.
Thanks Sarriss

I'm gonna be awkward and still try oneSmile