Garden And Gossip Forums
Broad beans plants but few pods - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Legumes (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Broad beans plants but few pods (/showthread.php?tid=307)

Pages: 1 2

Broad beans plants but few pods - Mark_Riga - 03-07-2020

I sowed the broad beans at end of Feb. and planted out early April. They have grown well and I nipped the tops off when some blackfly arrived. Then I left them to it. I had a look at them Yesterday and there are very few pods at all.

Has anyone else had this. The only thing I can think of is the late frost in May. Is there any other possible cause?

I usually leave the beans to dry on the plant and use them in making humous. Still got plenty from last year so not a disaster but worrying - it reduces my safety stocks.

RE: Broad beans plants but few pods - Veggie - 03-07-2020

Picked my first little pod yesterday on some Crimson Red plants but the Wizard, which are twice as tall and were planted before the Red ones haven't set anything yet.

RE: Broad beans plants but few pods - Broadway - 03-07-2020

Hello Mark

Must admit mine seem ok I picked these about 20 mins ago, one of the few things I seem to be ok at!!
[attachment=655]

RE: Broad beans plants but few pods - Mark_Riga - 03-07-2020

I think it must be the late frost in May that got them. Did think may be pigeons were a bit hungry and went for the small pods but there are some small pods on some of them that won't develop. I'll leave them as some are sending up new shoots.
Possibly the very dry spring didn't help either.

[attachment=656]  [attachment=657]

RE: Broad beans plants but few pods - Veggie - 03-07-2020

I'd be happy if I saw pods the size of yours (first photo), Mark. Mine are non-existent in comparison.

RE: Broad beans plants but few pods - JJB - 03-07-2020

Mine seem ok, getting an MFB every few days. They're Masterpiece and Witkiem, haven't tried the crimson flowered yet. Masterpiece seem to have filled their pods better than Witkiem, although witkiem were earlier. They weren't watered but maybe the rain came at the right time.

RE: Broad beans plants but few pods - Mark_Riga - 03-07-2020

(03-07-2020, 04:08 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'd be happy if I saw pods the size of yours (first photo), Mark. Mine are non-existent in comparison.

I'd be happy if there were a lot of them but there is only the odd ones scattered about.

RE: Broad beans plants but few pods - Mark_Riga - 04-08-2020

I think I may have found the culprit. I was thinking the last hard frost must have affected them but today I saw a bee making holes at the base of french bean flowers and getting the nectar out without going in the flower. Hopefully this won't bee a problem for the french ones as they do it to themselves. The bee was very efficient doing it. I may have a problem growing broad beans in future if they hang around, and why wouldn't they when there is so much food for bees here compared with the surrounding grass and maize fields and verges full of bracken and nettles.

RE: Broad beans plants but few pods - Veggie - 04-08-2020

I had to cut mine down this week - the leaves looked unhealthy and I was worried that it was going to turn fatal! Had quite a lot of pods but, once they've been podded, you don't get a lot of beans.
On the bright side, didn't suffer from blackfly this year. Smile

RE: Broad beans plants but few pods - Mark_Riga - 04-08-2020

I pick them mainly dried to make humus. I need to check them again to see how they are (if there are any). Last year I ended up with about 2kg of dried beans. I've still got some of those but I like to get some each year so I've got fresh seed for the following year. I'll be lucky to have enough for seed for next year.
If it was bees, I don't know if I should plant them quite a bit later so there is more for the bees to choose from.