Garden And Gossip Forums
Winter projects 24/25 - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Winter projects 24/25 (/showthread.php?tid=2224)

Winter projects 24/25 - Veggie - 14-09-2024

What do you plan to do over winter - in the garden or indoors?

RE: Winter projects 24/25 - Small chilli - 15-09-2024

Similar to summer really. Make more beds and get structure (polytunnels , sheds) in place. As for indoors continue building it.

RE: Winter projects 24/25 - JJB - 15-09-2024

You've got to be joking, a plan? Big Grin I've a few thoughts but more often than not they get forgotten when the weather changes. I still haven't got round to putting the metal mesh round the fruit cage to deter squirrels, so somehow (with or without P's help) I'll need to do that before next spring. Perhaps move a few plants around in the flower border. Get rid of some hostas that are just slug food. Declutter house and loft. Probably the same plans I had last year.

RE: Winter projects 24/25 - Mark_Riga - 15-09-2024

I've got a little list of jobs 'needing' doing. Some will just drop off and not be seen again (mulching round dahlias could well be one of them). A lot depends on the weather: weeding/cultivation becomes impossible when wet and stuff stops growing in winter absorbing some of the moisture. It was nice yesterday - I even picked some raspberries, but is has been very wet otherwise lately.

The main jobs are to fix the kitchen window to stop slugs crawling through into the kitchen; a new sill has been bought, wood filler, preservative  and paint.
Finish off the bathroom: box in bath, a new cupboard then tile the new panels. 
Put a new roof on an outbuilding that leaks all over so it can be used again. Would be good for garden machinery. II bought the corrugated Iron for the job a few months ago .

In the list below the numbers are estimate in hours. Then at the bottom is the total x 2 as I'm not good at estimating. Then the number of days is for 5 hour days. So I need about 50 good days between now and spring.  And not all jobs are there as I've not got planting out garlic or autumn onions. The table on the right is the plan for tomorrow, the weather is looking better.
In the jobs list 'prepare ....' defines an area of land that needs clearing of weeds/is overgrown.

[attachment=7875]

RE: Winter projects 24/25 - JJB - 15-09-2024

(15-09-2024, 02:07 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: I've got a little list of jobs 'needing' doing. Some will just drop off and not be seen again (mulching round dahlias could well be one of them). A lot depends on the weather: weeding/cultivation becomes impossible when wet and stuff stops growing in winter absorbing some of the moisture. It was nice yesterday - I even picked some raspberries, but is has been very wet otherwise lately.

The main jobs are to fix the kitchen window to stop slugs crawling through into the kitchen; a new sill has been bought, wood filler, preservative  and paint.
Finish off the bathroom: box in bath, a new cupboard then tile the new panels. 
Put a new roof on an outbuilding that leaks all over so it can be used again. Would be good for garden machinery. II bought the corrugated Iron for the job a few months ago .

In the list below the numbers are estimate in hours. Then at the bottom is the total x 2 as I'm not good at estimating. Then the number of days is for 5 hour days. So I need about 50 good days between now and spring.  And not all jobs are there as I've not got planting out garlic or autumn onions. The table on the right is the plan for tomorrow, the weather is looking better.
In the jobs list 'prepare ....' defines an area of land that needs clearing of weeds/is overgrown.

Well, that's next weekend sorted Mark, what are going to do for the rest of the winter?  Big Grin I bet Veggie is well impressed,  you know how much she loves a spreadsheet.

RE: Winter projects 24/25 - Veggie - 15-09-2024

I'm VERY impressed, by the spreadsheet and the task list. Makes my efforts seem very amateur!

RE: Winter projects 24/25 - Mark_Riga - 15-09-2024

(15-09-2024, 04:39 PM)JJB Wrote: Well, that's next weekend sorted Mark, what are going to do for the rest of the winter?  Big Grin I bet Veggie is well impressed,  you know how much she loves a spreadsheet.

My hope is, As I populate the daily tasks each day, the grand total of 262 hours will go down quickly - and I don't come across too many jobs not in the list that need doing - like planting out onion plants and garlic cloves. I haven't included picking/podding beans, harvesting anything including broadbeans. Looks like I'll have a good harvest of broadbeans this year. The robber bees must have moved on or found something better to get nectar from. I just use them for home made humus.