Garden And Gossip Forums
Which ones? - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Veggie (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Which ones? (/showthread.php?tid=1850)

Pages: 1 2

Which ones? - Small chilli - 22-03-2023

Ok everyone I need you using your imagination  Big Grin .

Let’s pretend that halfway through the growing season you’ve got to.
 1 move every thing you’re growing 
 2 everything you grow has to down size to fish boxes and limited on space to put fish box. 
 3 everything you do grow can only be cooked on the hob ( if it needs cooking) 

Which varieties of veg do you grow?

RE: Which ones? - JJB - 22-03-2023

Perhaps choose 'patio' varieties of your favourites, they purport to take up less room. Choose things you love to eat but can't necessarily buy easily or that taste so much better home grown. My own choices would probably be courgettes, tomatoes and beans and maybe chard or carrots but yours maybe different. I'm glad I don't have to choose Smile how about vertical growing, could you incorporate that at all in or around a caravan.

RE: Which ones? - Veggie - 22-03-2023

I wonder why you're asking. Big Grin
Did you say you'd started beans in the new garden? Climbing beans/peas/cukes/squashes would be difficult to move, unless they were small plants - so dwarf beans/peas and bush type squashes/courgettes are better IF they have to stay in fishboxes.
If it were me, I'd be creating a temporary plot for these and growing them there before July.
Grow bush tomatoes & chillies in boxes. root veg that you've grown in boxes before, salad veg obviously.
There's time to start salads, greens, some roots in July/August although you may be a bit busy with other things then!
Concentrate on the veg that you really enjoy and can't be bought locally.

RE: Which ones? - Farendwoman - 22-03-2023

I’d go for toms,radishes, basil, lettuce, rocket, coriander - and some spring onions.

RE: Which ones? - Small chilli - 22-03-2023

I grow runner beans on the plot last year. They didn’t do great. But not necessarily their fault. They will get a little more attention this year.
As for growing what I can’t get easily……………you’re not narrowing it down for me !  Wink . 

I’m with you on the courgettes and salad ( started), chard (started ), peas & dwarf beans I’ve grown in fish boxes before. Not sure about tomatoes. I’d like to have the little blow away up on a temporary basis. It can’t be one of my permanent ones because drainage won’t be in place in time and 2 of them can’t go up until after the house has been signed off because they should have planning permission because of their size.  Planning doesn’t actually care about tunnels as long as you’re don’t do stupid stuff with them . Like right next to road, in front of house, to close to neighbours, stuff like that. 

Mostly want my temporary tunnel up so I can grow my giant pumpkin for the g&g competition    Cool .

RE: Which ones? - Farendwoman - 22-03-2023

PS I don’t know how big a fish box is!

RE: Which ones? - Veggie - 22-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 11:35 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: PS I don’t know how big a fish box is!
Its a bit bigger than a sardine tin. Big Grin

RE: Which ones? - Farendwoman - 23-03-2023

(22-03-2023, 11:56 PM)Veggie Wrote:
Its a bit bigger than a sardine tin. Big Grin
Har Har!

RE: Which ones? - Small chilli - 23-03-2023

Fish boxes vary in sizes but the one I measured 80x45x24cm. Hight & width vary only slightly from that. But depth you can get some really shallow or quiet deep. Just depends which boxes you can get your hands on.

This is the one I measured 
[attachment=5969]

RE: Which ones? - Scarlet - 23-03-2023

I would stick with toms, lettuce, radish, herbs. Things that are quick to harvest...maybe beetroot. Dwarf french beans?

I wouldnt bother with root veg/things that need watering lots and take a long time to crop.

Watering is such a chore and takes too long