Garden And Gossip Forums
Autumn Sown Hardy annuals - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Flowers and Ornamentals (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Forum: All about Flowers and Ornamentals (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Autumn Sown Hardy annuals (/showthread.php?tid=1821)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Autumn Sown Hardy annuals - Farendwoman - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 04:17 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(15-02-2023, 11:42 AM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I lost loads of stuff in the greenhouse in December so I am being more cautious this year. The cornflowers are one of the only things that survived, even lots of the sweet peas conked out.
I lost all my cornflower and sweetpeas... my anemones outside froze and then all rotted Sad
I don’t grow anemones, Scarlet.
is it too late to start again with those?

RE: Autumn Sown Hardy annuals - toomanytommytoes - 15-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 11:42 AM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I lost loads of stuff in the greenhouse in December so I am being more cautious this year. The cornflowers are one of the only things that survived, even lots of the sweet peas conked out.
I lost all my cornflower and sweetpeas... my anemones outside froze and then all rotted Sad
In terms of flowers I lost gypsophila, echiums, annual salvia, perennial alyssum, musk mallow, echinacea, coreopsis, linaria and penstemons. Also 48 plugs of komatsuna/mizuna/mibuna, intended to replace the autumn stuff killed by cabbage root fly, all killed as well. Overwintering cauliflowers in modules got absolutely battered but about 50% of them have recovered well enough to plant out in a few weeks. Not much you can do when the compost in modules is frozen solid for days on end. The cornflowers barely flinched though, tough things.

RE: Autumn Sown Hardy annuals - Scarlet - 15-02-2023

I think the warm Autumn brought on lots of top growth - then when the long freeze came - if the frozen soil didnt get them the wet soggy foliage rotted anything it lay on. I tried to rake some of it away... not much survived.

[attachment=5829]
My Late summer sown Ammi and Daucus Sad

RE: Autumn Sown Hardy annuals - Scarlet - 16-02-2023

(15-02-2023, 04:26 PM)Farendwoman Wrote:
I don’t grow anemones, Scarlet.
is it too late to start again with those?
I was tempted to buy more in late Dec - but I thought they may recover? Unfortunately i dug a couple of the corms out this week and the top of the corms are rotted away.
I could maybe start some more - but its still so cold, I actually placed an order today...and they were sold out Sad

RE: Autumn Sown Hardy annuals - Farendwoman - 16-02-2023

I’m so sorry that we’ve all had such losses this year.
Good to be able to share it on the forum though.

RE: Autumn Sown Hardy annuals - JJB - 16-02-2023

The penstemons I bought cheap in the autumn, that I was doubtful would survive the winter weather are a little straggly but have survived, I'm pleased to say. I also transplanted some self sown antirrhinum into modules into gh, and although all the outside self sown ones have all copped it, the gh ones are fine and dandy.