Garden And Gossip Forums
2023 Spuds - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Potatoes (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=133)
+--- Thread: 2023 Spuds (/showthread.php?tid=1813)

Pages: 1 2

2023 Spuds - Can the Man - 07-02-2023

I have started chitting my first earlies, they are called Solist. I will only grow them in the poly tunnel in raised beds. I grew them last year and they were a great success, so I ordered 2 x 2kg bags of seed. I will not grow any main crops this year as the last 2-3 years were disasters. They will be sown in March after St. Patrick’s Day and the shoots will be covered with fleece at night when they appear.

RE: 2023 Spuds - Jimny14 - 07-02-2023

I'm trying swift this year, will likely do first plantings toward end of march under tunnel cloche to warm up ground a bit, and protect from frost, then will hopefully plant a few more at 2wk ish intervals to try and spread the harvest

RE: 2023 Spuds - Bren - 07-02-2023

I’ve bought Charlottes again, they’re chitting on their egg trays.

RE: 2023 Spuds - Veggie - 07-02-2023

I have some Gemson, chitting away, from a FREE bag of spuds.

RE: 2023 Spuds - Small chilli - 07-02-2023

I’ll be choosing my spuds on the11th March.
They will be growing in bag so I can move them. But I’ll probably start the bags in the fenced tree area at our new house.

RE: 2023 Spuds - toomanytommytoes - 18-02-2023

Bought our seed potatoes the other day at the garden centre.

First Early - Red Duke of York
Second Early - Kestrel
Maincrop - Cara (blight resistant)

These have all done well for us in the past. Red Duke of York is one of the best tasting potatoes I've grown. Kestrel is also excellent.

I am determined to get 1kg per 10 L of pot volume for the 1st and 2nd earlies. We've always fallen slightly short, so this year I am putting 3 tubers per 20 L pot instead of 2 to see if that helps.

RE: 2023 Spuds - Can the Man - 04-03-2023

I decided to take a punt and put a few tubers in today to see how they go, the weathers been cold 4-6’C but should be warmer in the tunnel. I have the majority of the tubers to go in end of March

RE: 2023 Spuds - Vinny - 05-03-2023

Last year I had poor results from bought seed tatties and decent results from taties for eating which had sprouted. I will plant one bag of an early variety (yet to decide which?) and the rest will be sprouted supermarket tatties, which is all my Dad ever used. Rolleyes

RE: 2023 Spuds - Small chilli - 11-03-2023

This year we’re growing 3 seed Maris peer, 3 seed sunset & 6 seed blue annelise in potato bags. 25kg of sarpo Mira anywhere there’s a mound of earth on the new plot ( the big heap that will eventually go into raised beds asa base layer, and all the heaps dug out of trenches). And 1 seed of everything else on the list will also go into potato bags they’ll be in mixed varieties. Because I have no idea which is which.

[attachment=5913]

I’ll be back in a minute to ask stupid questions    Blush

RE: 2023 Spuds - Vinny - 12-03-2023

(11-03-2023, 09:34 PM)Small chilli Wrote: This year we’re growing 3 seed Maris peer, 3 seed sunset & 6 seed blue annelise in potato bags. 25kg of sarpo Mira anywhere there’s a mound of earth on the new plot ( the big heap that will eventually go into raised beds asa base layer, and all the heaps dug out of trenches). And 1 seed of everything else on the list will also go into potato bags they’ll be in mixed varieties. Because I have no idea which is which.

I’ll be back in a minute to ask stupid questions    Blush
The problem with asking stupid questions is that invariably you get stupid answers! Big Grin Especially from me! Blush