Garden And Gossip Forums
2023 Tomato Grow List - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Tomato (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: 2023 Tomato Grow List (/showthread.php?tid=1809)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: 2023 Tomato Grow List - toomanytommytoes - 15-03-2023

The cherry shaped Honeydrop is from a dehybridization of Sunsugar F1 and can have a lot of variation in colour between orange/yellow/pink/red. The seeds are only really available from US websites so it's not likely to be that I think, though it is one I want to try in the future.

I think the seed swap Honeydrop is more likely to be a translation of Medovaya Kaplya, which is a commercial Russian yellow pear variety.

RE: 2023 Tomato Grow List - Veggie - 15-03-2023

Whose name is on the Honeydrop seeds, JJB? I'm too lazy to look for my packet.Smile
Maybe they can tell you what they were like.

RE: 2023 Tomato Grow List - JJB - 15-03-2023

No name or date so I've no idea, it's a typed label so I can't even recognise the writing.

RE: 2023 Tomato Grow List - JJB - 15-03-2023

(15-03-2023, 02:17 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: The cherry shaped Honeydrop is from a dehybridization of Sunsugar F1 and can have a lot of variation in colour between orange/yellow/pink/red. The seeds are only really available from US websites so it's not likely to be that I think, though it is one I want to try in the future.

I think the seed swap Honeydrop is more likely to be a translation of Medovaya Kaplya, which is a commercial Russian yellow pear variety.

As usual you are a mine of tomato information,  thank TMTT, in the end I decided not to sow them today, 21 different toms are more than enough I think Smile

RE: 2023 Tomato Grow List - SarrissUK - 20-03-2023

The honeydrop toms were from me. They were of slight pear shape, more yellow than orange, so JJB might be right. They're self saved seeds from three years ago I think (I've grown them every year, and saved my own seeds), but I can't recall where I got them from originally.

RE: 2023 Tomato Grow List - JJB - 21-03-2023

(20-03-2023, 11:06 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: The honeydrop toms were from me. They were of slight pear shape, more yellow than orange, so JJB might be right. They're self saved seeds from three years ago I think (I've grown them every year, and saved my own seeds), but I can't recall where I got them from originally.

Thanks Sarriss, both for the info and the seeds.

RE: 2023 Tomato Grow List - toomanytommytoes - 21-03-2023

I've sown some Honeydrop today. If they are indeed Medovaya Kaplya, it's supposed to be one of the best tasting yellow pear varieties. Did you perhaps get them from Seaspring Seeds, Sarriss?

Added some more to my grow list because I can't help myself:

Shimmer F1
Romello F1
Goldkrone (new seed because last year's was extremely off type, red instead of yellow, very productive but disgusting!)
Oh Happy Day F1
Honeycomb F1

RE: 2023 Tomato Grow List - Bren - 21-03-2023

I've sown 4 varieties this year.

Gardeners delight
Black Cherry
Tigerella
Mini Bell

RE: 2023 Tomato Grow List - JJB - 21-03-2023

(21-03-2023, 12:44 AM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I've sown some Honeydrop today. If they are indeed Medovaya Kaplya, it's supposed to be one of the best tasting yellow pear varieties. Did you perhaps get them from Seaspring Seeds, Sarriss?

Added some more to my grow list because I can't help myself:

Shimmer F1
Romello F1
Goldkrone (new seed because last year's was extremely off type, red instead of yellow, very productive but disgusting!)
Oh Happy Day F1
Honeycomb F1

How many is that in total now TMTT?  Smile

RE: 2023 Tomato Grow List - toomanytommytoes - 21-03-2023

20 varieties, 30 plants. Not too bad!