Garden And Gossip Forums
2023 - What I did today - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+--- Thread: 2023 - What I did today (/showthread.php?tid=1786)

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 17-08-2023

Cut back some of the grapevines and chopped up the vines into the Swamp to rot down.
Tidied the courgette plants, cutting of yellow leaves and added them to the Swamp.
Cut off the dead leaves on the tomatoes and added them to the Hotbin.
Cut off some whitefly infested leaves from the Tromba and put them in the waste bin. Sprayed the remaining leaves with soapy water. Don't know if that's the remedy but it felt good!
Bit more raking out of long grass on the path.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Bren - 17-08-2023

Found a Sunflower growing in a potato box it’s now in the garden instead. Pulled up bolted lettuce and some general weeding.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Small chilli - 18-08-2023

I did a bit more to the bottle display. Collected some seeds. Cut the grass in the ferret run. Shelled my saved sweet peas. planted some bulbs, not sure what they are, I have a list of possibles. Added a couple more bits of random rusty stuff to the cottage garden.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - JJB - 18-08-2023

After it rained mightily I trundled up the garden in my wellies thinking it would be awash, but no, the warmth and wind had dried off the grass, so what was going to be a short outing ended up being all morning. The outdoor tomatoes have got blight so I salvaged all the fruit I could and spent the afternoon roasting tomatoes. Blight has even got in the gh.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 18-08-2023

Rained all day and night here so nothing done outdoors. My brother came over and sorted out a leaking overflow in the attic. While he was up there I asked him to pass me down some bits and pieces that I could review and throw out. Totally random items they were too!
A giant teacup - looks like a pint size,
A glass jar with stopper and woven straw bottom - the sort of thing that may have contained cheap foreign wine bought on holiday!
A cardboard box containing 8 photograph albums - all empty of photos.
A big leather briefcase full of cards and letters from my past. Its going to be harder to bin these.
Apart from that I turned a ton of courgettes, some old onions and squidgy tomatoes into soup - enough to keep me fed for a week.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Garrett - 20-08-2023

Topped all the tomato plants so they concentrate on ripening.
Planted out various chard seedlings.
Potted on some perennials I'd grown from seed earlier this year (eryngium, polemonium, verbena bonariensis and dierama).
Mowed the lawn then spread the clippings around some winter squash.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Vinny - 21-08-2023

Fishing yeaterday, DIY on bedroom today.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 21-08-2023

Cleared a patch of ground that is already home to some beans for drying and sweet potatoes. Sowed carrots and radish there. Dumped the weeds in a nearby compost bin. Moved some marjoram and perennial geraniums into another spot.
Discovered that one of the grapevines is scrambling up a hazel bush. For the first time in living memory there are grapes on it!.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Mark_Riga - 21-08-2023

Just able to stuff the last cut of comfrey into my 200L water butt. It will be used for rest of this year and for early potatoes next. Dug up some more potatoes, 65kg so far with minimal slug damage.
Earthed up beetroots to hopefully deter mice or rats having a nibble, or rather more than a nibble.
Tidied up round greenhouses then picked raspberries, pity there are no scones ready.

RE: 2023 - What I did today - Veggie - 22-08-2023

Spent most of the day making jam and mushroom soup but managed to squeeze in a bit of weeding in between.
Reading that back sounds like I made soup out of jam and mushrooms. I assure you I'm not that weird!